Strange Light Behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house, where the sellers have recently removed all of their light fittings and replaced for standard ceiling roses and flex.

I have noticed the following:

1) the landing light has two switches, only the landing switch works. The one located downstairs in the hall does not.

2) the switch for bedroom 1 turns on the lamp in bedroom 1. The switch in bedroom 2 turns on both the lamp in bedroom 2 (end of loop) and the lamp in bedroom 1. These are both on but at about half the brightness as normal.

Sponsored Links
Whoever changed the light fittings has wired them incorrectly, and you now have the two lights in series.
The hall/landing could be the switches wired incorrectly, or the lights, or both. It may have never worked properly.

Whoever changed the light fittings has wired them incorrectly, and you now have the two lights in series.
The hall/landing could be the switches wired incorrectly, or the lights, or both. It may have never worked properly.

Thanks flameport, why would the two lights be affected by one switch and not the other?

I will admit I never tested the lower switch for the landing, so you are correct, it may never have worked. However, seems like a might coincidence seeming as most of the light fittings have been changed recently

They've mixed up permanent and switched live at the ceiling rose(s).

Either:

1) Learn how lighting circuits are wired, trace/identify your cables (having and knowing how to use a multimeter will be a great asset), and connect things up properly

Please don't think about sorting it by trying different things until it works, or by following instructions from others to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without actually knowing why. The only safe basis for doing electrical work is having a genuine understanding of what's going on.

or

2) Get an electrician in

or

3) Demand that the seller put right the mistakes, and replace the light fittings they removed, unless they said they were going to do that.

In your shoes, (1) would be the best from a long-term perspective of acquiring competence, but will take a bit longer. If you go for (2), then at least hit the sellers with a "small claims court" for the cost. Probably won't get you anywhere, but it might make them worry about the consequences of their illegal behaviour.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I have purchased a multimeter so will have a check of the current wiring when I get home later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back