2 Gang, 2 Way Switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had 2 separate switches in the main bedroom in my house, one was a 1 Gang, 2 Way Switch and powered the landing light, along with 2 other switches (located upstairs & downstairs) & the other was a 1 Gang, 1 Way Switch powering the main bedroom. I've now brought a metal 2 Gang, 2 Way switch & have got to get it to power both the main bedroom & the landing, along with the other two switches. The new metal 2 Gang, 2 Way switch has got com, 1 way, 2 way & com, 1 way, 2 way. I have 2 red, 2 blue & 2 green wires for the landing & a red, black & green for the bedroom. The bedroom light is fine, but I can only get all 3 light switches to work for the landing occasionally (when the main bedroom switch is on), which means I've wired it up wrong. Any ideas?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Peter.

Sponsored Links
Did you check the old switch? Was it a grid switch (seperate parts)?
For a light to work 3 way it needs 1 intermediate switch and it sounds like your landing light switch in the bedroom might have been this.Did the old switch for the landing have 4 terminals in it?If this is the case then I'm afraid the 3 way switching will not work as you have a 2 way switch!!
If you are not sure is there any chance you could post a picture?

I did check the old switch and it did indeed have 4 terminals, I feared this might be the case, but I've kitted out the whole house in one particlur style of light switch & B&Q do not supply a 4 terminal light switch in that range.

Is there any way around it?

Many thanks for your time anyway, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If that is the case with the availibility of an intermediate switch in that range then you will have to do away with the switch for the landing.You can join the 4 wires for the landing together in the back of the switch box in connectors(or crimps if space is tight) Join red to red and blue to blue.
You can then just fit a standard 1 gang 1 way for the bedroom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back