Bedroom Lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

My first post here, so bear with me if anything is not clear or misunderstood.

I am in a rented flat and the lights, which are like spot lights fitted on a bar in the bedroom are no longer working.

The other day, my wife switched them on and it seemed that one of the bulbs blew, so went out and got a new set, as I couldn't tell which ones were not working.

So I replaced all the bulbs and still it's not working, this is what they look like:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Assuming other lights in the flat still work.

If that switch is a dimmer of the type I think it is then it will need replacing.

When the lamp blew it went short circuit for a very short time ( less than a second ) but long enough to also blow the dimmer.

Need to get the landlord to send an electrician to replace it with a dimmer that has a short circuit proof output. Or an ordinary switch and go without the dimmer function.

When the electrician is there also get him to check that metal switch is properly earthed if he re-fits it with a new dimmer.

First obvious thing to check is that none of the breakers in your consumer unit have tripped (in which case just resetting it will probably be enough), in most cases you'd have noticed this as other lights on the same floor etc would have gone out, but it's always possible that the bedroom is on its own circuit...

Assuming that isn't the case, then the most likely problem is that when the blub blew it took out one of the transformer or dimmer switch. As it's a rented flat, you should contact your landlord / letting agency, and get them to send someone round to sort it out. If it was your flat I'd suggest (*with the power off*) swapping the dimmer switch for a normal switch, to eliminate that, but with a rented one that might be a violation of your rental contract etc...

Hey guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Yes the trip switch dropped, so after changing the bulbs I put it back on and it still didn't work, so it must be the dimmer switch.

I'll get in touch with the landlord, his problem not mine, although he is quite flexible and lets me do my own thing in the property ....

How difficult is it to replace the dimmer switch oneself and where would a person buy one ... ?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Yeah I have done some work in the past .... not like re-wiring the entire house, but have enough knowledge not to shock the hell out of myself!

Hey Guys,

So all sorted, got a new switch from Wickes, fitted it and works like a charm.

Thanks for all your help guys.

:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back