Before we pay the fella - is this cobblers?

Eliteheat, see nothing wrong with the way the flue is fitted. I would fit the pipes in a similar manner. Check your flue installation guide and clearance when flue TOO close to overhangs like shown in the picture.

I cannot see much wrong with the installation either. Look at the pipes and clips. Nowhere do I see plastic dog poo pipe. Instead I see copper that is fitted neatly, clipped nicely and gas line (22 and then say last meter at 15) thoughtfully provided.

I also note poster does not want to pay the fitter and has even suggested, may be in jest, that he has got a free boiler. What if the fitter is genuinely making a mistake. Is it right to take advantage of him and financially hurt him?

I as a heating engineer would not install a non steamer and then claim the installed boiler was in fact band A. How many sitting in the jury box know for a fact that the fitter in conversant with boiler bands.

Would be nice to invite the fitter on the forum and put him in the witness box for questioning. Then, and only then can the jury point the figure of blame.

For goodness sake, ask him to come over and sort out this oversight, if it is an oversight. Have been stung by customers of this ilk in the past, even though I was 100% in the right. One case was when I was attempting to get the customer replacement coal for his fire (that he supplied). The coal and castings were different shade. I was branded a cheat and a liar

Sponsored Links
according to the installation manual, the pipe work is correct.

however this a band D boiler

The Seasonal Efficiency (SEDBUK) is 78.5 % and conforms with Band D. The efficiency value
is used in the UK Government Standard Assessment (SAP) for energy rating of dwellings.

the ace HE is A rated.

High Efficiency Boilers Only From April 2005

The Government aims to reduce UK carbon levels by changing the Building Regulations Part L1, and by April 2005, boilers installed in homes in England and Wales should fall into the SEDBUK band A or band B categories (high efficiency or condensing boilers).

The Heating & Hotwater Industry Council and its members support the Government's aim to reduce carbon emissions.

brings into question where this boiler came from, its clearly been lying on a shelf somewhere, since april 2005.

then how did the plumber get hold of it?

was it sold cheap to him and described as an HE?

more than likely the plumber was duped ;) after all he keeps insisting its a band A boiler.

perhaps he's a good plumber but not that bright?

We have spoken to him briefly and very politely on the phone (see previous post). We have stopped his cheque whilst we sort this out with him but haven't actually decided that we won't pay him - and wouldn't do something that drastic without speaking to him first and being 110% sure of our facts. No offence to you lot - you seem very knowledgable - but there's no way we'd refuse payment based on advice from an internet forum.

Tomorrow we have a 'definitely' Corgi registered plumber coming out first thing to take a look. I will also be calling Halstead to double check the type of boiler it is. I will also be investigating EXACTLY and definitively what the building regs are. Then, yes of course, 'the accused' is coming round for a chat.

I would love to think this was just a big misunderstanding on his part...he seemed a really decent bloke...but this is looking pretty unlikely, given that he freely admits that he's fitted a non-condensing boiler - he knows it's not a condenser, despite us asking for a condenser. He has claimed it's all fine, nothing to worry about and it's A rated, which it clearly isn't. Also we have no compliance or benchmark paperwork from him yet, so we've asked for that from him. And the Corgi website has no record of him.

So it's fair to say there are a few things we need sorted out and we're preparing ourselves for the worst - i.e. he's not corgi registered and has fitted something not to standard. And if that is the case then I don't see how we can pay him £1800?

If the corgi bloke who comes round in the morning says that the pipework is fine apart from the fact that the boiler is wrong and the other bloke not qualified, then I'm happy to pay him for his time and work, but not the boiler.

Luther your plumber has been found guilty on all counts

Let sentence be passed.

He will be taken from this forum to a place where he will be hung by the neck until pronounced dead may the lord god have mercy on his soul.

Sponsored Links
How many sitting in the jury box know for a fact that the fitter in conversant with boiler bands.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Rgi's should know the difference between band A or D.

If not then he must be a totally thick cowboy or a smooth talking con man, and now needs hanging.

Its very simple no matter whether the guy is corgi registered or not and whether he has done a good job.
SIMPLE you paid him for a condensinsing boiler he has lied and fitted a band D , its not a hard mistake to make as its usualy labeled on box and its in instruction manual.
As bad for him as you may feel he has tried to con you, which is wrong .
So dont take anything from him as in discounts its his con and his loss just say i want the equivalent halstead condensor in , im not paying any extra and if i lose time off work it will be off price before i pay you or the corgi guy you get to fit it.

Ok he's here now. Says that you can still buy and fit combi boilers but he's happy to replace ours with a condensing boiler so didn't argue the toss with him. Said he used to be corgi but now he gets a corgi-reg mate to come out, check the work and issue certs which is what he says he'll do for us. Says he won't take any payment from us until the corgi reg mate has done that. Just need to get the registration number from this friend to double check he is corgi.

All sounds good to me?

Thats almost funny, he's just digging a deeper hole with every statement.

Yet another "Used to be registered"

I suppose any sympathy has now evaporated for this guy who has sidestepped all the humungous costs including time off that we are forced to undertake in order to remain registered?

This guy is obviously carrying out a gas work on a regular basis as he was recommended by another customer.

Luther

It is illegal to have someone else sign off your gas work if the registered person did not actually install all gas and flue related items.

The guy has tried to pass himself off as something that he is not and his boiler off as something that it is not and yet is still happy to take your cash..... If you hadn't been so observant, he would have been off with your cash and left you with an out of date boiler and no installation certificate... And then he would have done it to the next customer too......

Ok he's here now. Says that you can still buy and fit combi boilers?

eerr you can they just have to be condensing

and he is a complete rogue and the "corgi" mate who checks his work mus be a moron

:)

sorry I had to give my tuppence worth

:)

It is illegal to have someone else sign off your gas work if the registered person did not actually install all gas and flue related items.

Didn't realise that - thanks.

Looks like this is far from resolved then...will speak to the Corgi registered guy (the one we've found - not the mate of our plumber) tomorrow morning and take it from there.

Just get someone to do the work properly and inform your plumber that he has 'x' days to pick his boiler up, else you will dispose of it and bill him for the expense.

Do not pay him, let him sue you if he thinks he has a case.

It could not be simpler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back