Belkin Cooker Fuse query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time comment here.

last night my belkin cooker stopped working (the oven not the gas hobs) halfway through cooking a meal.

the cooker switch (big red one) light is off but the standard socket which sits alongside it for another appliance was working fine. switched off the fuse at the mains to check that and no difference.

So i am assuming it is the fuse for the main switch on the kitchen wall, if so how would i go about changing this? is it just a simple case of turning off the fuse for the sockets at the main fuse box and unscrewing and replacing?

Sponsored Links
the cooker switch (big red one) light is off but the standard socket which sits alongside it for another appliance was working fine.
Is that socket a separate one, or built into the switch?

switched off the fuse at the mains to check that and no difference.
Fuses are not, and do not have, switches. Do you mean you turned off a circuit breaker?

Which one?

What do you mean by no difference? You turned one off but nothing stopped working?

So i am assuming it is the fuse for the main switch on the kitchen wall, if so how would i go about changing this?
Do you have fuses or MCBs?

is it just a simple case of turning off the fuse for the sockets at the main fuse box and unscrewing and replacing?
"turning off the fuse" doesn't make sense.

And the cooker switch won't be (rather really should not be) on a socket circuit.

Some photos of your CU/fusebox and the switch wouldn't go amiss.

priestly1980 wrote:
the cooker switch (big red one) light is off but the standard socket which sits alongside it for another appliance was working fine.

Is that socket a separate one, or built into the switch?

the socket is seperate (to the right of) the cooker mains switch.

Quote:
switched off the fuse at the mains to check that and no difference.

Fuses are not, and do not have, switches. Do you mean you turned off a circuit breaker?

Which one? Yes, sorry i am not an electrician...hence being on here! i am not sure i just worked through the fuse box until i could see that the light on the working socket had gone off.

What do you mean by no difference? You turned one off but nothing stopped working?

i mean it didnt change the siutuation, the cooker still didnt work.

Quote:
So i am assuming it is the fuse for the main switch on the kitchen wall, if so how would i go about changing this?

Do you have fuses or MCBs?

i dont know...!

Quote:
is it just a simple case of turning off the fuse for the sockets at the main fuse box and unscrewing and replacing?

"turning off the fuse" doesn't make sense.

And the cooker switch won't be (rather really should not be) on a socket circuit.
[/i]

ok...by now we should have established i know nothing/little about electrics so please understand that what i am describing may not be the "perfect" description. by this i meant, if i flicked the off switch on the mains box for this i thought it might be on the circuit...if it isnt then this explains a lot...but how do i then determine the problem?

Please use [quote] [/quote] properly - it makes things so much easier to follow. You went through what you wrote, highlighting it and clicking the Italic and Bold buttons - why not use the Quote one?

the socket is seperate (to the right of) the cooker mains switch.
So it'll probably be on a different circuit to the cooker.

Yes, sorry i am not an electrician...hence being on here! i am not sure i just worked through the fuse box until i could see that the light on the working socket had gone off.
The socket has a light?

i mean it didnt change the siutuation, the cooker still didnt work.
Even though you don't know anything about electrics I can't see how you would think that turning something off would make the cooker start to work.

i dont know...!
Fuses:

800px-Fusebox_195-4.jpg

MCBs:

Mcbs.jpg

ok...by now we should have established i know nothing/little about electrics so please understand that what i am describing may not be the "perfect" description.
Indeed, but your inability to describe what you have in the way of circuits and what you did makes it hard to help.

If the light on the cooker switch has gone out then either the switch is faulty, or the wiring has come loose, or the fuse has blown (replace it) or the MCB has tripped (turn it back on).

Although of course fuses/MCBs don't operate for no reason - could well be that your oven has gone faulty.

Some photos of your CU/fusebox and the switch wouldn't go amiss.

Sponsored Links
thanks, the pics make it much easier!

ok so its the MCB i turned on and off...dont know why...just wanted to check i suppose.

As you suggested it sounds like it could be a faulty wire/switch as the light has just gone out.

Seems odd that a cooker would just stop mid flow though?

would you advise just getting an electrician out?

Nice IP breach... :eek:
Probably, but I think I would probably have to take a ruler to it to be absolutely certain. IP2X is very (some would say 'ridiculously' or 'dangerously') generous - a 12mm hole is quite big! It's a particular worry with a situation like in BAS's pics where the live parts are so close to the outside world. With the possible exception of my little fingers, none of mine would go through a 12mm diameter hole. However, since finger tips are squidgy, if I pushed a finger tip firmly up against a 11-12mm diameter hole (hence IP2X compliant), I would suspect that some of the flesh would 'bulge through' the hole to the tune of at least a mm or two - probably enough to gain contact with live parts as close as those in BAS's pic.

Kidn Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back