Belling Microwave Turn Table Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone save my precious microwave cooker ??

My Belling microwave oven/cooker is only about two years old but out of warranty. It works fine except that the light does not come on and more importantly, the turn table does not turn. I have a feeling this is a minor problem that can be fixed without having to throw away the appliance especially in this austere times.

Will be so glad if someone can tell me how to fix the problem.

Regards.

Dan

Sponsored Links
unless its a fuse, you do not stand much chance. But if it is a fuse you have to ask your self why did the fuse go? (Fuses are there to protect when some thing goes wrong)

Microwaves from £28.97

other suppliers of microwves are available

Does it still heat up if not more than likely fuses or door switches (or if unlucky transformer, HV diode,capacitor, Magnetron and you are not advised to try testing or playing with those bits)

oven lamp could have blown

Occasionaly the turntable motor can stop working or more comomnly the drive shaft seizes.
Sometimes the drive coupling between the motor and the turntable spindle can be worn preventing the turntable from working

to check the motor

Unplug machine
remove turntable/shelves/guide
can you turn turntable spindle by hand easily (should be stiff due to gearing on motor dont force it) this just checks that the spindle has not seized/got jammed
turn appliance onto back/side/top your choice but so you can see the bottom
there should be a plate which needs to be cut off (normally 3 little pieces of origional pressing the plate can then be removed. It will have to be rotated and self tapping screws needed to re fit it)
under this cover is the turntable motor held in by one screw and a lug usually
remove the motor and check to see if it works seperately (if you dont know how to its probably best you dont try, I will not go through the steps in case of accident)

Hi Leccy758,

This is a reply that is 1.5 years after your post - hopefully you're still a member!

I've had a similar problem recently, in that the microwave works fine, apart from the turntable turning. I've taken the machine apart and located the motor. You mentioned checking to see if it works separately - but were wary to go through the steps in case of accident (naturally).

Wellllll, I'm wondering if you could perhaps help me out in this respect? I'm not reckless and understand the potential dangers, but would love some help. If you don't wish to publish it publicly on the forum, then maybe a PM will suffice?

It's either this or a new microwave I think, so your help would be much appreciated! (Or anyone who knows how for that matter!!)

Sponsored Links
Still here

Remove the motor and you can then put a seperate 240V supply onto the terminals (only do if capable)

Otherwise I normally remove the motor and check the drive shafts for wear as they are all keyed together.

Sometimes food residue etc gets into the shaft area causing it to sieze.

To remove the motor it is usually just a single screw and you then turn it about 1/8 turn, sometimes you need to remove the drive shaft from inside the cavity first.

Wow that was a quick reply; thanks for your help.

Yeah probably don't have capability to put separate supply onto motor but oh well.

I've taken it out and had a look - looks clean as a whistle really, including the spindle/shaft, so I suppose the motor is knackered?

Are there replacements about or do the manufacturers assume that you wont/shouldn't even 'look under the hood'? The only replacements I've seen, seem to be bulbs, lugs and turntables etc - not mechanical devices.

Is it essential that food goes around anyway? I understand that it turns for even cooking, but, putting something in the middle of the turntable - is it really much of a problem?!

Microwave ovens do need a way for the microwaves to be moved around the food. They either have a hidden stirrer or a rotating tray to move them about.

Most of the time I have a turntable fault it is because the support rollers are clogged and sticking or the turntable drive shaft has worn inside so the motor rotates but can not rotate the turntable.

Some ovens have the wiring long enough for you to be able to remove the motor leaving it electrically connected and place it to the side of the oven (or put the oven on blocks with the motor underneath so you can see if it is turning)

If you have a multimeter you could also then check to see if you have 240 volts on the motor.

There are many online and local shops that can supply new motors but you have to be a little careful as not all manufacturers use the same keying method. If you have a local electrical spares/repair shop they should be able to test the motor for you (we do) if you take it in.

As a little note most belling Microwave ovens I see at the moment are rebadged LG machines

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back