Bemused by irregular clicking noise behind bath/shower controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, me again. I'm rather confused by the fact that when I run a bath at night a very loud, fast but irregular "clicking" sort of noise (the best way I can describe it) occurs from behind the controls, and is so loud that it can clearly be heard even from downstairs, but when someone else runs the bath during the daytime you can't hear it. By controls I mean what seems to be a fairly standard plate with top and bottom quarter-turn taps for the shower and bath respectively and a "capstan"-type wheel in between them for controlling the temperature, and plumbing presumably behind, in the wall. Bath is a walk-in one, with one of those flattened cylindrical spouts (don't know what the technical term is), although I suspect that's not relevant.

I haven't been able to take a look behind the plate because I can't get the cap on the top tap unscrewed - I presume it would just be a case of unscrew the taps and the capstan and lever the plate off? - so I can't be certain what's going on behind, although I have my suspicions. Are these symptoms sounding familiar to anyone, please?

Sponsored Links
I haven't been able to take a look behind the plate because I can't get the cap on the top tap unscrewed - I presume it would just be a case of unscrew the taps and the capstan and lever the plate off? - so I can't be certain what's going on behind, although I have my suspicions. Are these symptoms sounding familiar to anyone, please?

Pipe expansion. due to hot water being run. Probably the pipe is rubbing on something, as it expands.

Harry, my apologies for the delayed reply, but I only recently found the notification in my junk folder. I am coming to the conclusion that it is probably related to the hot water pipe, as it seems not to start up immediately, but only once the hot water is running in, but I have a nasty feeling it may be more than just a pipe expanding. I'll keep an eye (ear?) on it and see if I come to any more conclusions.

Thanks for your reply.

Pipe expansion. due to hot water being run. Probably the pipe is rubbing on something, as it expands.

After more detective work, I'm still not too convinced: would that really make a FAST clicking noise? Speed-wise, I'd compare it to the sort of clicking you get if you spin the front wheel of a bike fast.

I think I really need to get behind that plate and see what's happening ...

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure it will show up on my equipment, although I have considered it.

Okay, I have managed to get a sound clip: it was taken with the bath and the pump running. I've just had a lot of problems getting my phone to talk to my computer so I could post it.

And now I find that the forum doesn't support audio files! Is there anywhere else I could post it?

Found somewhere. This is the noise:

I should perhaps also have said that I'm rather surprised that the shower (upper) tap, which I'm not using, gets hotter than the bath tap when I'm running the bath. Or perhaps this is normal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back