Bent truss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I was in my loft as I am in the process of replacing the insulation and I have noticed that one of the trusses is bent laterally.
I have bought the house a year ago so I don't know if it's getting progressively worse or not. It seems that there's a knot where the truss bends. Is this something I should worry about or likely to be stable?

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_110857.jpg
    IMG_20220918_110857.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20220918_110828.jpg
    IMG_20220918_110828.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
I'd strengthen. Fix timber to the side with Pva, screws and clamp.
Those truss timbers with knots are a weak spot.
Father in law stood on one like that and it snapped at knot while he worked in timber construction roofs.
He was OK.

Sponsored Links
Disappointed. I thought this was a thread about another corrupt prime minister.

No. Unless it snaps.
Would that not became a big problem at that point?
I'd strengthen. Fix timber to the side with Pva, screws and clamp.
Those truss timbers with knots are a weak spot.
Father in law stood on one like that and it snapped at knot while he worked in timber construction roofs.
He was OK.
I thought about doing that but I'm kind of scared of making more damage than good
Bridge a length of 4x1" across 3 trusses to help brace it.
If I do it that way, should I fix the brace to the top of the bent element?

Also... should I decide that I'm not comfortable doing this myself, what kind of professional should I look for? I suppose this should be a job for a roofer

You don't appear to have any diagonal truss bracing, if so the problem is bigger than one truss.

You don't appear to have any diagonal truss bracing, if so the problem is bigger than one truss.
Yes, there's no diagonal bracing. It's a former terraced council house from the 70s. I thought that if the roof has been fine until now, that should not be a huge concern...

Yes, there's no diagonal bracing. It's a former terraced council house from the 70s. I thought that if the roof has been fine until now, that should not be a huge concern...
No past performance is no guarantee of future performance - that truss is evidence of that.

Chippy or handyman will do that.
Not difficult and just needs a little thought.

Some roofers don't do timber work.

If I decide to add the diagonal bracing, will that require to involve a structural engineer as well or is it a standard thing that does not require calculations?

OK it seems like it's not easy to find someone that is going to do it (either because it's a job too small or something they don't do).
Anway... let's say I'll do the bracing myself. I do have some questions about how to do it.

1)what kind of screws should I use? I assume I should use structural screws.... but what size?
2)in terms of wood, would should this be OK? https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/tre...n-treated-timber-47mm-x-100mm-x-3-6m/p/206907
3)how to I avoid the risk of splittimg the wood? I've read somewhere that pilot holes should not be trilled in trusses. Is that true?
4)obvioulsy I won't be able to use just one pice of wood.
5)some of the trusses are not perpendicular: basically they are leaning on one side. There might have been movement overtime or it might have been like that from the beginning. Is that going to be a problem? I suppose that the bracing will stop that movement...
6) if I want to brace the apexes as well, do I use the same wood and screws?

Apologies for the many questions but I don't want to mess this up :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back