Bernard Manning Dead.

Thermo said:
ah joe must be back were managing to steer all the topics back to race and immigration

Smell the coffee, thermo - that's what the topic was about long before I joined it.

Sponsored Links
megawatt said:
Softus said:
This topic isn't about racism, or political correctness, it's about a fat, sweaty, unhealthy comic, who, before he died, was unpleasant to anyone and everyone in the pursuit of getting a laugh out of someone.
This is not true Softus, BM simply worked on the pre-PC premise (and a very good one IMO) that a joke is a joke in the same way that a novel is fiction not fact and they should not be taken any other way.
How does that work exactly? Firstly, I'm not aware that he changed his humour in the era that you might call post-PC, i.e. when the premise of which you write had ceased to exist, the death of which premise saw the demise of such TV sitcom 'gems' as "Love Thy Neighbour". :rolleyes:

Secondly, are you saying that humour is not in the eye of the beholder? That I could say anything I liked, in the guise of a joke, and if I think it's funny then it's therefore funny? If not, then why not? But if so, then it makes me a comedy genious.

I would cite the Parkinson interviews with Mary Whitehouse and Esther Rantzen as far more credible examples of his quick-witted comedic talents. Watching him destroy those two bastians of do goody PC a**e in front of millions of people was a sheer joy.
You're as entitled to that opinion, and to that joy, in the same way that I'm entitled to the joy of knowing that BM will never tell another 'joke'. And whilst I don't share your view, I'd defend to the hilt your right to hold it and express it.

It just means that in public he was a git, and that now he's a dead git.
Obviously spoken by some ill-informed fool who has never met the man and only knows what he's seen in one or two shows quite late in his career where he was judged guilty even before he appeared.
The thing you claim to be obvious is not quite so obvious when you consider that I watched him on TV, in "The Comedians" (sic.), in the seventies, which was exactly half-way through his career. Unfortunately I can't claim never to have laughed at one of his jokes, but I was younger and more foolish then. I also can't claim never to have called a junior school classmate "poo poo breath", but I grew out of that too.

Speak to the many people who have had the pleasure of watching the man perform his live shows and the lucky ones who have met him and they will all tell you the same thing ... He was a comedy genius on stage and a true gentleman in person.
I also saw him perform on stage in Manchester in the early eighties, and, since you claim that this experience pre-approves me to speak knowledgably about BM, I assure that you he was an ar*ehole.

Why do people on this forum take any notice of this Softus character he appears to be nothing more than a self-opinionated fool.
I'd have to guess, but perhaps it's because, unlike you, I don't make outrageous assumptions - they almost always backfire and radically undermine any argument based on the assumption, as your assumption has with your argument.

joe-90 said:
(he won't)

How old are you, joe?

Nearly every time I read a thread where you have posted, the words "he won't" or "he can't" crop up. Why is this?

I also saw him perform on stage in Manchester in the early eighties, and, since you claim that this experience pre-approves me to speak knowledgably about BM, I assure that you he was an ar*ehole.

Ar*eholes are people who go to Bernard Manning shows when they think he's an ar*ehole :LOL:

Softus: Much of your DIY advice is spot on but you don't half talk sh*te in this forum ... And I'm equally entitled to the opinion.

Sponsored Links
esra_ptrap said:
Ar*eholes are people who go to Bernard Manning shows when they think he's an ar*ehole :LOL:
Ha ha ha. You're probably right. I was open-minded when I went, and the experience was an education.

... And I'm equally entitled to the opinion.
Indeed you are, but it's a well-worn and tiresome view you're clumsily presenting. :rolleyes:

Well, I liked him (shock!)

Take away the content for sec, the style of delivery IMO was superb, its probably the hardest job in the world to stand up in front of people and make them laugh...he did old school stylieee and had a massive following.

Why?...maybe there was a market for his humour?

He has stood the test of time, how may of todays toff nosed snearing f***wits are going to be around in 5 years time let alone 50

Content..well unless your Ken Dodd or Bernie Clifton your always going to end up offending someone as a comedian...makes me laugh how the likes of Chris Rock (who I find absolutley brilliant) can use the 'N' word all through his act and get away with it...'alternative' comedians (alternative to what?...laughing??) slag every race and creed on the planet, the smelly French?..thick paddies..tight Scots..sheep shagging Welsh...miserable arrogant Germans..oh dont not forget the cowardly Italians and over weight mouthy Yanks..and the theiving gypsies..

All worthy of some stick at the fodue party surely?...fnarr! fnarr!..

But dare mention anyone with a tan..even if the joke isnt directly aimed at them and people dive for cover.

Point......surely this is just as racist as anything else?..Unfortunatly Manning had the achillies heel...he was working class.

Did his humour stoke racial tensions?..I dont think so, but obviously...it certainly wouldnt have won any racial harmony awards.

Im trying desperatly not to go down the 'are you arnt you a racist' route..its all been done before...done and dusted

But think hard...is there anyone here who has never laughed at a good 'mick' gag?

The guy was definatly not everyones cup of tea..I liked him personally, not so much for his 'humour' but he's manner

Chubby Brown..I dont like, anyone who used the 'C' word in front of women is a wrong'un in my book.

To many hes a sexist pig...Ben Elton, Julian Cleary..Graham Norton etc..on the other hand can be as crude as they like.....I wonder why :rolleyes:

gcol said:
Oooooo you got some dirt on our boy Joe? Spill the beans Richard. ;)

His real name is Joszef, and he did some cheap plumbing for RichardP. :?:

johnny_t said:
His real name is Joszef, and he did some cheap plumbing for RichardP. :?:
I think I'm in real danger of laughing my head clean off...

well the big tub of lard made me laugh anyways and Im a cynical so and so.

Went along with a mate to see him a year ago more for the lager than anything else but enjoyed it.

Was he racist? :rolleyes: Yeah prob so....but he took the rise out of every1...escpecially himself.
Started of his "show" by warning the audience."If you dont like jokes xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to feck.Youre in the wrong place"So its not as though the crowd where expecting witty observations about the stress of modern society or airline food.

He did light up a ciggie on stage tho which is a big NO up here in Scotland due to the smoking ban.

I agree ... What you saw is what you got and his club act was well publicised beforehand and by the great man himself at the start of the act.

Anyone who went along, sat through the act and was offended in any way was quite obviously a prat ... Hmmmnnn don't actually recall him doing any jokes about prats :LOL:

Maybe he picked on Softus, would certainly explain the attitude?

slow fade said:
Started of his "show" by warning the audience."If you dont like jokes about xxxxxxxxxxxx.
A true gentleman - clearly he was just acting like an ar*ehole for money. :rolleyes:

Does making the same unpleasant joke about everyone make each instance of joking acceptable? I think not.

If you do, then I guess it's acceptable for me to make the joke that all children in the whole world should be buggered at birth to prepare them for later life.

Only joking mate. :) I'm a geezer innit?! Gi'us a Hamlet.

Zampa said:
Why?...maybe there was a market for his humour?

:
There was once a market for slavery. Doesn't mean it was ok.

He has stood the test of time, how may of todays toff nosed snearing f***wits are going to be around in 5 years time let alone 50
Without naming people it's hard to say. Who are you talking about?

All worthy of some stick at the fodue party surely?...fnarr! fnarr!..
Do people still have them, do you have a chip on your shoulder?

Im trying desperatly not to go down the 'are you arnt you a racist' route..its all been done before...done and dusted
If you enjoy racist humour then I would think that you must be a racist. I'd be interested if anyone could show otherwise.

But think hard...is there anyone here who has never laughed at a good 'mick' gag?
Interesting point here, is it a 'mick' gag that is funny because of the wording of the joke or a 'mick' gag that is only funny because it's assuming that the Irish are thick?

Chubby Brown..I dont like, anyone who used the 'C' word in front of women is a wrong'un in my book.
But someone who uses the 'N' word in front of a black person is ok?

To many hes a sexist pig...Ben Elton, Julian Cleary..Graham Norton etc..on the other hand can be as crude as they like.....I wonder why
Are you are confusing crudity with sexism here? They are not the same.

Well in my opinion i think this chap was a fat discusting waste of space he made a living on racist remarks yet the police did nothing, or did they, YES they did they all when to watch him on the so called police ball night out.

Sponsored Links
Back