Best Boiler for underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old eco-tech boiler has packed up and apparently eco-tech have gone bust.
The old boiler used to work on a continuous flow that fed four manifolds and the only control over the boiler was the return temperature. (each room has a thermostat that Controls the manifold) Not only did it have a modulating burner but it also had modulating pump. The computer on the front of the boiler use to display the percentage the pump was pumping even when the boiler wasn't running so that there was water flowing through the system so it could monitor the flow and return temperatures.
At night the thermostats in each room retarded the temperature of the room to save energy and early morning bring the room back up to the correct temperature automatically, if you looked at the controls on the boiler in the evening the pump would be pumping 5 to 6% and the burner maybe at 10 to 15% excellent old boiler.
We found over the years that this boiler was highly efficient and I'm looking for another to replace it.
Four bedrooms two bathrooms one kitchen two living areas all with underfloor heating.
Pressurised domestic hot water.
If anyone can think of boiler and point me in the correct direction I would be really happy

Sponsored Links
The Eco Hometec was a bit of a dog. If I remember correctly it was made by MAN and featured a standard French Giannoni heat exchanger in it - just like Baxi, Alpha, Gloworm, Vaillant, Halstead, Potterton, Remeha etc etc.

Nothing special then, I've ripped out a few where the customers were pleased to see the back of them. Their customer support was not marvelous. I recall they were fitted in Scandia Haus homes and those of a few internet jockies.

Pretty much any system boiler will now have a modulating pump and burner - and easily match its efficiency. We used to replace them with Viessmann 200 series a number of years ago.

You might wish to have a more sophisticated control system as a pump running 24/7 in summer and winter, with no boiler interlock isn't the best idea. Unless you've got a WC system this set up wouldn't meet building regs with no interlock today*.

*But certain exceptions apply - too involved to go into here.

Eco Hometec sold a number of Boilers. One being a rebranded Coopra Compact. Good boiler but very fussy.

They were monumental charlatans though.

Sponsored Links
The old boiler was labeled MAN, once setup ( and that took a long time) it just chugged along.
Interesting that the Viessmann 200 series is being mentioned im going to look into that. One installer I spoke to was talking about the Viessmann 100 series so i need to go and find out whats the difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back