best brush for glossing doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

2nd post in 2 minutes!!!

simple bit of advice needed.

what is the best size of brush to use when glossing a wooden 6 panel door.

I have always used a 1" brush but last time i used a 1.5" with some improved performance.

whats the general feeling on the board as to the best size.

many thanks in advance

andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that

Have been using a harris but it molts like a sheepdog in spring!!

Purdys are very good, I normally use a 2" or 2 and a half"

When you buy a new brush like harris etc, always wash them first in soapy water, let them soak for an hour or so, rinse well, and spin the handle, (do it outside) lol till the bristles are completely dry, then rub a tiny bit of baby oil :oops: into the bristles,( for glossing only) leave for 30 mins or so, then away you go. :D

Sponsored Links
Again Thanks for that

have looked on the forums and the mini foam rollers finished of with a bush seem very popular so i think i will give that one a try

great info on the brush prep would i need to do that witha purdey as well?

andy

Again Thanks for that

the mini foam rollers finished of with a ***bush*** seem very popular so i think i will give that one a try

That's it - get the missus to help you.

Again Thanks for that

have looked on the forums and the mini foam rollers finished of with a bush seem very popular so i think i will give that one a try

great info on the brush prep would i need to do that witha purdey as well?

andy

No, you dont need to do that on the Purdys they are synthetic, so you shouldnt have any probs with them, its the ordinary bristle brushes that loses the hairs.

If dont do the soaking business, some of the hairs do come out, but when you go to use the brush again you shouldnt have much loss. :D

Thanks for all that guys

final question which may be my most stupid yet!!

which gloss to use with a roller
non drip or "normal"

thanks

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:25 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.5 inch Purdey synthetic bristle

Any ideas of a good stockist (kent area or online)
foolishly tried B&Q lol

also which of the millions of the purdey range do you reccomend ie what name elite pro etc.

many thanks

Personally, I can't stand synthetic brushes and wouldn't have one as a gift.
They have no spring, no life and no soul. Gimme a good bristle any day.

i always use a 3" or 4" brush for panel doors, gives a much better finish

Purdys are very good, I normally use a 2" or 2 and a half"

When you buy a new brush like harris etc, always wash them first in soapy water, let them soak for an hour or so, rinse well, and spin the handle, (do it outside) lol till the bristles are completely dry, then rub a tiny bit of baby oil into the bristols,( for glossing only) leave for 30 mins or so, then away you go. :D

Now theres a good idea Spicey poo's ;)

Id go for a 2.5 inch too..IMO they are the best brushes for most jobs..big enough to use when cutting in emulsion...small enough to paint a door with.

Joe 90 Wrote:
Personally, I can't stand synthetic brushes and wouldn't have one as a gift.
They have no spring, no life and no soul. Gimme a good bristle any day.

Do you want to paint with it or marry it Joe? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back