Best *current* AV distribution system reqire - Triax DDU or not...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm nearing the end of a full extend and refurb project (my third) and need to decide on the best AV system for TV points etc.

Both times previously I have used the Triax DDU and associated faceplates but I'm not sure it ever really met our needs. In short, we want the system to be "Sky ready" (or whatever that really means given its starting to use WiFi / BB more and more...).

We don't have sky and have never had sky but we want to make sure that our wiring facilitates its easy installation in a way that will require no addittional wiring.

I have always had one gripe with the Triax system... To use the system without a Sky box I've always created a "loop" including a splitter (one branch off to the TV, other back to the faceplate) on the main faceplate. Thinking about it now that there must be a way around it but that solution has worked in the past as the signal is passed from the DDU to the main faceplate, through the Sky box and back to the DDU before distribution to the rest of the house.

So, back to the current project... We have wired in double coax cable to a number of sockets around the house. We also have phone and Cat5e cabling going to several locations...

What loft box / DDU should I be installing? and almost more importantly what faceplates!

The systems that integrate a sky return feed need a 2 gang box whilst those that don't just need a 1 gang box... We would rather have a 1 gang box but don't want to interfere with functionality. Given the move of Sky Q towards WiFi based systems that deliver better quality AV to other TV's should I not worry about having return feeds?

As you can probably tell I'm not sure what option I should be going with... I'm inclined to have 1 gang boxes for aesthetics...

I'm normally relatively decisive but keep going around in circles on this one! Slight urgency as plasterer starts next week...

Thanks in advance...!!

Sponsored Links
Yeah don't worry too much about return feeds if your getting sky Q as these are wifi like you said. One thing to note is that SkyQ uses a different LNB setup and therefore if you was doing satellite distribution you would need a different type of loft switch (DSCR) It all depends on how many traditional sky boxes you might have and/or if you get SkyQ.

If your able to accommodate any HDMI cables or just use some conduit plastered into the wall/backbox, that way you can run wires at a later date. Also I might suggest running a second CAT5 cable, that way you could use converters over Cat5 for any future proof applications. All that depends on if you have any central media place/cupboard or going to other rooms.

For the faceplate I used in my system some keystone jacks that gives you the option to use a standard single/double faceplate and mix/match the jacks to accommodate your cables/connections. Theres also standard modular faceplates too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modular-F...e-HDMI-RJ45-RCA-Brush-Satellite-/321853138903

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for that - we mainly watch online content and stream media from my home server /online so I think that's the correct way to go (i.e. no return).

We've struggled to get the wires in that we have already put in - wiring a 1770 timber frame cottage is surprisingly hard without being destructive, even with the ceilings uncovered! I think we'll make do with the runs we have but thanks for the suggestion. Any tech that is being installed is being done so very discreetly to ensure the old character of the place is retained.

To assist with streaming, BB access and home automation we are investing in WiFi and will be putting in three Ubiquiti access points through the house at strategic locations (such as http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/16827-ubiquiti-uap-3/) linked to the gigabit wired network. Hopefully this should more than adequately cover any future tech we put in.

I will utilise the modular faceplate system to provide the satellite signals to where they need to go... In the first instance the system will be purely freeview but want to ensure Sky can easilly be plugged in.

Can you please elaborate on the DSCR switch - is there anything special about this / will it affect the rest of the system or quadruplex faceplates?

The DSCR switch is just needed for the new Sky Q / LNBs where the boxes need all the frequencies at once due to the multiple built in tuners. If your not wanting to distribute sky Q to multiple rooms I wouldn't worry about that yet. And I'm sure at most you would just need 2 wires from the dish to the room with the main Sky Q box.

Sponsored Links
I thought that the Sky Q LNB signal used all the available bandwidth, including the Freeview UHF band? Wouldn't that preclude the use of the same cable for both Sky Q and Freeview?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back