Best Layout for Combi with Bells n’ Whistles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Could any of you helpful people point me in the direction of a layout plan/diagram or similar for a combi boiler with the bells and whistles?

I’m not trade and really looking forward to putting together a lovely setup (visually as well as correctly arranged in the eyes of a plumber).

I’ve nearly bought all the bits:

Intergas Rapid 32, OpenTherm’d to 12 Drayton Wiser TRVs - boiler at highest point, in loft, loads of space around it.

External 8L Expansion Vessel

Intergas System Filter (like magnaclean)

Drains (below boiler and at lowest point).

Remote filling loop with double check valves and pressure guage, situated directly below the boiler in a utility room 5 metres away

Automatic bypass valve at end of new flow and return

Intergas Outside Sensor

Frost Thermostat for in the loft (cold roof)

Want to add various isolation valves and additional vents if it makes sense to.

Existing CH circuit to existing house needs connecting (can’t disturb that side at all really other than getting to the 22mm flow and return)

New part of house will have the new flow and return (7 rads) with bypass on end.

All in copper.

Like I said I’m not a plumber so if I’ve got anything wrong feel free to tear me apart.

Thanks!

Edit: also interested to add some sort of dosing system as I believe I need like 2L of inhibitor for this setup so I’d like to include whatever the best method is for adding it down the line in the most convenient way in the years to come.

2nd edit: also forgot to say this is feeding my shower, only one bathroom, only shower or bath used at one time and not together. Also there’s no underfloor heating

Sponsored Links
Why the Rapid, out of interest? The Xclusive has much better modulation which is much more suited to a system with individual radiator control.

Don't bother with the outside sensor.

If it's in the loft then a deaerator is a good idea

Why the Rapid, out of interest? The Xclusive has much better modulation which is much more suited to a system with individual radiator control.

Don't bother with the outside sensor.

If it's in the loft then a deaerator is a good idea
I’ve already bought the outside sensor, as it was only £35, and I thought it’d be better than the regional weather that opentherm uses.

I picked the rapid because it was about £800 and the flow rate etc seemed good. I could be wrong but I think the other intergas were much more expensive.

Cheers for the advice though, I’ll look into a deaerator!

Edit: thanks mate the deaerators look like a great idea!!

For dosing I use my Magnaclean. Just turn off the 2 valves, sponge out the water and pour in inhibitor. Run for a couple of minutes and then repeat for the second litre.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My system would be all copper, boiler in the kitchen or central position to all the hot draw off points or a combi and cylinder installation with a 24kw combi supplying heating to also provide hot water to kitchen and utility room And cylinder to bathrooms and showers.

Evohome the lot. If possible have underfloor heating too.

If cylinder installed, it be a twin coil for hooking up to solar panels.

No need for frost stats as HR92s would take care of frost protection

Boioer would be Ideal Vogue unless system old and open vented in which case boiler to be IG that will allow it to operate to F&E cistern. Open therm connection.

Filter to be Megnaclean.

Installation cleaned with X800 followed by thorough flushing and treated with X400

IG combi only chosen as it will work to OV but do not like 2 yearly replacement of various parts being pushed by the makers

IG combi only chosen as it will work to OV but do not like 2 yearly replacement of various parts being pushed by the makers

Which parts. Are they needed to maintain the warranty?

Are you also getting the wiser room thermostat and receiver hub ?
Yes mate, looking forward to it.

No diagrams then for us noobs to see where all the accessories go then in the circuit?

I’m disappointed, there must be something out there

Yes mate, looking forward to it.

No diagrams then for us noobs to see where all the accessories go then in the circuit?

I’m disappointed, there must be something out there
everything communicates with the hub and it does everything, it is a really good set up to be honest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back