best material for a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just been looking round for a new shed to replace my smaller brick shed and the prices are stupid for the sizes ! as am remodeling the garden ive decided to build a shed and use the back wall of it as part of the fence. i was thinking of 25mm thick decking boards but ive no way of making the joints water tight. ive seen t&g joints sheds, only wood i can buy with the t&g is floor boared ? any ideas ??

Sponsored Links
I have no idea where you have been to look at timber but there are plenty of cladding options in varying thicknesses

Shiplap

Featheredge

Tongue and groove

Check out your local timber or builders merchant. Even B&Q probably sell it.

I've got a few sheds, 8 in total if you count my daughters playhouse, of differing materials.
I've got one metal shed that has caused me extra work because of condensation issues so I'd advise against them.
My workshop is built of block work up to about 4 feet and is then studding covered in ply and green coroline sheeting, quick and easy to put up with minimal maintance and being green it vanishes into the trees, Also available in black or red.
For timber I'd go for featheredge boarding either in cedar or tanilised softwood. I've had a shed in shiplap before and found it's possible for the boards to shrink out of the grooves of the adjacent board and let water in.
Lastly I have one shed that is constructed of fence panels and then roofed over with coroline sheeting again. Here it is , taken before it was completely finished, it's now fully stained with trellis and sweet peas and clematis growing up it.-
_IGP8065.jpg

Sponsored Links
Add a greenhouse , fenced and netted area for sort fruit and several sheeted piles of "stuff" and we've still not had any complaints, guess we must have really nice neighbours :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back