Building a door for my new shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I have just finished the main part of a shed.
I need to build a door, and although the shed walls are feather edge I was hoping to use vertical tongue and groove fo the door (a lot of sheds seem to have this).

I have looked around B&Q and Homebase to find some suitable T&G but can only find either 7.5mm(cladding) or 18mm(flooring).

Looking at the pre-built sheds in the gardening section, their T&G seems to be probably between 12-15mm

can anyone recommend a size for T&G on a shed door?

also, I cant seem to find any hinges that come with the rounded head bolts (ones that cant be undone from the outside) - again, can anyone recommend anywhere to buy these, if they are available...

thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
18mm is not too thick for a door if you hope to slow down anyone thinking of breaking in.

Vertical T&G used externally tends to rot from the bottom, as rainwater runs down the face, clings to the under surface and soaks into the end grain. You might prevent this by soaking the bottoms of the boards in Cuprinol for an hour.

I think you mean Coach Bolts. They fit Hook & Band hinges (which are usually rather solid and heavy).

JohnD said:
..............Vertical T&G used externally tends to rot from the bottom, as rainwater runs down the face, clings to the under surface and soaks into the end grain. You might prevent this by soaking the bottoms of the boards in Cuprinol for an hour.........................

Alternatively, you can get a short length of guttering, fit end caps, and use it as a trough to soak the bottom of the door in raw linseed oil. Fitting a weather strip is a good thing to do as well. Another way would be to cover the bottom of the door with copper sheet, making sure it is sealed on the outside.

well, I settled for the 18mm T&G

feather edge wouldn't give me the flat surface I want for the hinges.
I'll treat the T&G as it is planed flooring T&G - so not meant for external use in its current state.

I'm going to knock up a Z frame to nail it to.

hopefully it'll turn out ok! :D

Sponsored Links
are you going to insulate your shed!!!!!!

if you are you can build your door with a 2x1" treated timber as a frame 50mm kingspan in the frame backed with 6mm ply or loft insulation whatever now your door will not be able to breath and will eventualy rot probably after several years but easy enough to replace

the rest off the shed will of course be insulated properly with the relivent air gap :D ;)

If no air gap, use sheeps wool. Having said that, I insulated a shed with rockwell and chipboard 20 years ago and it hasnt rotted even though theres no air gap at all.

insulating a shed?
thats a bit high tech for me at the moment - although I am interested.
I could insulate the walls quite easily now by cutting some ply to size and nailing it to the inside of the shed, there'd be a 1-2" gap within which to put some insulation.

hmmmm....

i'll keep you posted with that one.
want to get the door up asap this weekend first though, as I need to start using the shed!

matpj said:
want to get the door up asap this weekend first though, as I need to start using the shed!

A door? That's a bit OTT, I've tiling batten frames with nylon netting stapled over. One of the frames is hinged like one of those door thingys you mentioned. Good ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back