Best method for floating bookshelf, 2x4 skeleton or iron-rod brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I want to make a floating bookshelf around 7-8 feet long (i.e., has to carry a real heavy load), what would be the best method between these two ...

1) 2x4 skeleton and put plywood or plank box over:

2) Buy iron rod brackets:

https://shelfology.com/shelf-hardware/aksel-md-floating-shelf-brackets/

I'm looking to make a shelf around 7 to 8 feet long and about 12" deep.

I may have to give up the idea of a floating shelf and just use L brackets, but I wanted to get opinions first. Do you think either of these methods would work? Which would be stronger? Is there a risk of the 2x4 skeleton drooping over time?

I should add that I am fixing to a plasterboard wall with wood studs spaced at 60cm/~24" apart.

Sponsored Links
I made one 2500 x 450, well it is actually a raised floating hearth, using CLS 38x63.

I used two 100mm angle brackets per timber to make the frame, as I was not confident that screwing in to the endgrain would suffice. The frame was then resin fixed to the wall, but I suspect that if screwing into timber studs a good enough fixing can be made - probably a couple of nr6 coach screws with washers per stud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back