Best mower for 1/4 acre

rif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a 1/4 acre lawn and really not sure what kind of mower to go for. Thinking about Bosch Rotak cordless or petrol Honda...any advice appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Battery electric are only suitable for teeny tiny gardens. They struggle with window boxes.

For quarter of an acre you probably want a medium sized petrol mower. Easier if you get a self propelled one. Honda or B&S engines are both superb and will give you no problems. The only questionable bit is the design of the grass collection and the build quality of the deck (ie, how fast it rusts out) - google for reviews of a model you find is a good last-check thing to do before handing over your money.

• Thanks
Reactions: rif
honda are the best you can get briggs and stratton are rubbish.

• Thanks
thanks all, so I should go honda petrol, any thoughts on Husqvarna 21" self-propelled 3 in 1 mower R53SV, which is Honda powered, or should I stick with normal honda?

Sponsored Links
thanks all, so I should go honda petrol, any thoughts on Husqvarna 21" self-propelled 3 in 1 mower R53SV, which is Honda powered, or should I stick with normal honda?
that should be fine with the honda engine

Yeah. I don't know the model but Husqy are generally solidly made and well designed in most things they do.

(And Merlin50 - you're wrong about B&S. Once they were absolute pigs but the modern ones (at least 5 years +) are very reliable. A little noisier than Honda, perhaps, but that's the only negative.)

My Landscaper is in right now, and says I would be better off getting a small ride on...

I have ½ acre mostly to lawn & use a self propelled John Deere with a 420 cutting deck. In peak growing seasons, it’ll cut the lawn in one hour as long as I don’t leave it more than 10 days. I debated getting a ride on but didn't really think the size justified it & decent ones are rather expensive; I decided that the exercise involved in chasing the mower around once a week would do me good anyway :LOL:. It’s now around 9 years old &, apart from an annual service, has only required a couple of new cables, new clutch & a repair to the under deck where I accidentally ran over a mole trap :rolleyes: ! Entirely you choice of course but does a ¼ acre justify a ride on?

• Thanks
Get a ride-on if you A) Want a toy, B) have the extra space to store it, C) Can afford the extra and D) your lawn layout is such that you don't need to get into the corners.

If you can tick all those, go for it - your money, but if not, I reckon a good walk-behind is dandy for quarter acre - I've known women with more body hair than that.

• Thanks
OK, TQ everyone, I will go for a self propelled petrol Honda...thinking of the mulcher type...garden is still a bomb site, turf goes down in a week or so...costing me a small fortune..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back