Best Protection For Garden Furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What's the best stain / protection to apply to a wooden garden table ?

I've used stuff like Ronseal on fences but was wondering what the best stuff is ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
God knows what it is, It's a pub style bench, I assume it is softwood.

Looking at it I quite like the natural colour so would want to protect it using a clear protectant

Thanks

Just seen some Ronseal clear yacht varnish, would that do the trick ?

Sponsored Links
Just use clear wood preserver, which will soak in, and only slightly darken your wood

I use Blackfriars, but others will be just as good.

If its an untreated softwood table then I would use a clear deckseal. even thompsons waterseal. Yacht varnish will peel in time and cause maintanence. Wood presever may 'smell' a bit.

I also have some wooden furniture made from treated softwood and was wondering the same thing. I like the slour of the wood, as it is so was thinking of using clear. Problem is I have left it for about a year and it is slightly greening in parts now, and is not uniformly the same colour. What to do :confused:

Hi Seneca, I would give it a scrub with a bleach solution to remove the green, then sand it over generally and coat it. If there is no artificial colour on it now then it will slowly turn grey due to the effect of sunlight.
The decking stain I mentioned is a Ronseal product and can be bought to give a pine tinge just to try to restore it to original & natural colour.

I've just got some hardwood teak stuff for the garden. Is teak oil fine for that? Or anything else I should use on it?

Also, how tough is teak? After treating it can I just leave it outside? Or will I need to store it in the shed etc over winter?

Thanks
Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back