Best sander to sand treated gravel boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m after a sander to sand approx 60 treated gravel boards (150mm x 1.8m each) to stain.

Any recommendations of a type of sander to get please? Preferably easy on the pocket as it’s the only things I’ll need to sand

Sponsored Links
what makes you think it worthwhile?

Are you using water-based fence stain?

what makes you think it worthwhile?

Are you using water-based fence stain?

Haven’t decided on a fence stain yet, would you recommend a water based one?

And worthwhile as I have some free labour for a few days and need them for a look I’m trying to achieve (not actually used as gravel boards)

60 gravel boards is a lot.
Maybe a belt sander. Aldi/Lidl do cheap ones now and again

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to achieve? They can be stained without sanding, which will make little difference to the finish .If you want smooth then needs a plane .
Gravel boards will give a poor finish due to poor timber quality.

If you were using them as gravel boards, fence stain would do. Because gravel boards are in contact with the ground, and rainsplash, they are "sacrificial" and intended to be replaced at intervals before the whole fence needs replacing. Also it is easiest to treat them before fitting.

But what are you going to use them for?

i wonder if this is the man who was looking for 12-14mm timber to clad and cover a fence and was happy when i suggested gravel boards then suggested his wife could treat them:eek::D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back