Best solution for badly discoloured/stained lead flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought long and hard whether this should go in Roofing and Guttering, but it seemed the most appropriate place.

My problem is hopefully self-evident from the images below: horribly stained lead flashing. It looks even worse since these photos were taken because the tatty timber windows have been replaced with new uPVC ones. I've no idea what causes this discoloration. I've tried wire brushing a small section but couldn't shift it.

Any ideas please for possible courses of action? Thanks in advance.

aaa1_zps6e1bfb54.jpg

aaa2_zpsb106f08b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Try wire wool to get the stain off, then rub patination oil over the cleaned lead.

Be careful on those tiles. Whilst they may not be the easiest tile to break, they do look similar to Marley "Bold Roll" which haven't been produced for years.

Its not lead or its been painted, If you do not like the look of it then it would be easier to get it replaced.

Sponsored Links
I agree with catlad, its weird looking lead if thats what it is, and it seems to have been "painted" with something or other. Cover flashing 10" high is also odd and unnecessary.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and apologies for my late response.
It might well have been painted as there are other same-design houses in the area with the lead (and it IS lead) in much better condition.

Thanks for the tips about the tiles too - I've been up there already (and all over the roof) and didn't think about breakages. What's a good way to spread the load?

If it is paint, is there a good way to remove it?

Isn't replacing lead flashing tricky? Chasing it into the brickwork and all that?

Edit: found a pic with the new windows:

aaa3_zps5b88a486.jpg

You, or someone, could actually remove the lead from the brick bed and reverse it.
Or as suggested above, use wire wool (and a heavy duty pan scrubber). + gloves and mask.

DIY'ers and roofs are not a happy combination, anything that would provide a cushion could be liable to slip.

How did you previously gain access to the roof - through the bedroom window?

That front lean-to roof is not much worse than a steep drive. I could skip about that roof in a pair of roller skates - easy!

We got our lead painted about 4 years ago for the same reason, it still looks good.

White PVC windows come on! they do brown and grey now, either of those would have suited your house better.

White PVC windows come on! they do brown and grey now, either of those would have suited your house better.

Erm... in your opinion?

Of course I'm aware you can get brown uPVC windows. I thought long and hard about switching to white, and even photoshopped the front and rear of the house before making a final decision. The whole house was earthy shades (red brick, brown tiles, brown front door, brown garage door, brown windows) so replacing the windows gave an opportunity to freshen up the facade. I'm thrilled with the result and have had nothing but positive comments (except yours ;) ). When the leading is cleaned and the curved board above the upstairs window is painted white it'll look even better. I don't even feel the need to paint the fascia boards white either. I think it already looks great as it is.

The 'before' shot is near the top of the page - I'd be interested to hear what others here think?

Nah, I'm with the OP, white looks much smarter, that said I think the curved cover piece above the window will be too much if done white.

Nah, I'm with the OP, white looks much smarter, that said I think the curved cover piece above the window will be too much if done white.

It looks good. There are a few houses of the same design on the estate with white windows and the white panel. The original timber windows had an arch at the top (see original photos above), so I guess it mirrored that.

Thanks for the comment, by the way.
:D

Sorry but I think those windows look pretty naff. Then again I really dislike plastic so it's probably just me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back