Best temporary repair for leaky flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My newly built extension's flat roof is leaking in various places, dripping down into my kitchen below (via the light fittings). To cut a long story short it wasnt built proeprly - bad flashings, wrong felt, no incline etc. Hoping to get a real roofer to put it all right in a few months (dry season).

As a very short term solution will it be enough to stop the leak to paint the affected area liberally with bitumen paint? Or do i need to put down a new piece of felt with bitumen adhesive? (Cost is also an issue, as the repairs arent going to be cheap.)

thanks,

Sponsored Links
You could use Acrypol for just a bit of first aid.. that will buy a little time.
Remember is not the answer to the main problem

Several roofers have pointed out that there is only 1 layer of cheap mineral green felt - that is where the water is pooling and eventually working its way through. Also, we have a large rooflight, but the builders didnt build a suitable upstand, so that the rooflight almost sits flush on the roof and water collects there too and probably eventually worms its way through.

Sponsored Links
Use acrypol and apply liberally to all lap joints including upstands and drip edges, should hold out til you can afford to get it done properly.

thanks for your reply.

can i buy acrypol from b+q, wickes or similar? i ask because only get home from work in the evening when most other shops closed.

if not, can you recommend any (cheaper?) alternatives that i could buy from them?

thanks!

Not sure about the Diy stops, but you could phone a roofing merchant , pay over the phone and get it delivered... There are plenty to choose from in London. Personally I use the SIG group usually.
If you get Acrypol, go with the "contains fibres"..

The beauty of this product is it can be applied when the deck is a little damp..i said damp not sopping wet.

Neither as Ive never used them.

Where in London are you? Google a roofing suppliers called Wedges, they are based not far from Ladbroke Grove.

Hi Nervous123,

I've had a similar to problem of yours. My flat roof garage was leaking heavily with about 3/4 leaks appearing all over the roof. I did try some permaseal which did the job for about 2 weeks, but they re-appeared.

I think i've mentioned these guys before, but RAM Consultancy who work nationwide came in to do my flat roof. They did some sort of Electronic Leak detection which I had no idea what is was but they detailed all the leaking entry points with a full report.

Since then the garage roof hasn't been leaking at all. But I guess it depends if you're confident enough to DIY. I'd recommend these guys though.

http://www.roofconsultancy.com

I hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back