Best trade to learn?

J

Jason88

I have an other with a builder to learn
Painting plumbing or electrics what trade would offer the best
Security I know times are hard and you should do what you enjoy but I'd like to get views from tradesmen

Jason

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't do anything in the building game.
Get yourself a nice cushy job in I.T or media, on your arse all day, career ladder, no dirt, nice warm office/air con, no bad back, aching knees, neck and feet.

That's not me dec I have to be hands on lol
can I ask how you became a painter

I went to college on day release for two years and came out with my city and guilds qualification. Some guys sniff at getting qualified in P&D, it doesn't automatically make you a good decorator but what it should do is teach you the standard required, its up to the individual to take what he's learnt and apply it how he was taught.

The buddy system can be good, learning from an experienced pro can be priceless but i've got no time for blokes that set themselves up after thinking they've done a good job on their own lounge. Also from a personal point of view i have no time for handymen, do one thing and do it well.

Think about the future and which trades are likely to have a sustained or increased workload, for example a lot of new builds arn't plastered so you could consider that its a trade in decline, but something on the increase is high technology in homes such as room to room AV and eco technologies are also on the increase.
So really if i was thinking about coming into a trade now i would look toward the modern trades rather than the traditional ones.

Of course you could get yourself a five stretch and come out the nick with a couple of handy certificates all for free

Sponsored Links
DONT BOTHER,
find a rich widow use your hands on her,SORTED. :LOL:

I wouldn't do anything in the building game.
Get yourself a nice cushy job in I.T or media, on your a**e all day, career ladder, no dirt, nice warm office/air con, no bad back, aching knees, neck and feet.

yeah but to get such jobs requires some intelligence.Personally I would not bother with P&D as most punters can do this on a diy basis;plumbing is good combining hands on with problem solving.Decorating is a bit tedious,but cannot see how aching knees arise?

Thats a nice comment saying painters are thick, i spend half my life on my knees and going up and down steps and ladders, doing an HSL i must go up and down the stairs dozens of times a day, all my joints get stressed.

Why restrict yourself, try all.
Office work can cripple you as easy as hard work.

Ask a tradesman what career to get into, he says IT. Ask someone in IT what career to get into, he says get a trade (plumber, electrician, etc). :rolleyes:

Do what you like doing.

Thats a nice comment saying painters are thick, i spend half my life on my knees and going up and down steps and ladders, doing an HSL i must go up and down the stairs dozens of times a day, all my joints get stressed.

Would that be a career ladder?I did not say painters are thick-however you can paint with minimal formal training as I can testify being an amateur who has earned beer money working for ladder-phobic friends.

I know a few plumbers, they have nice cars, holidays, play lots of golf.
Everyone needs plumbers, electricians & painters. Most people will have a go at painting themselves.
So that to me seems a waste of time & you cant put a big mark up on materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back