Best training companies?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i order to gain a approved gold JIB card a NVQ3 is required. Any one done a course who did you use and what was the price.
i am 10 years time served and level 3 c&g.

Sponsored Links
I am unaware of any organisation offering over level 3 other than Universities the level 3 is the demarcation between further and higher education.

Some Universities hire college facilities to run courses so it may seem that the local collage of FE is doing level 5 courses but normally you find the award is awarded by a University even when course and exam are in the college.

The problem with level 5 is that the University name is important unlike a GCE it's not marked by a central body but by the University. This was at one time also true of some colleges I know in Wrexham the 16th Edition course was internal and when the 17th came out students found they could not take the C&G up-grade as the original was not a C&G exam.

My local college was C&G and our lecturer Stan was very good with a 98% pass rate for C&G 2391 however when at around 78 he retired the pass rate dropped alarmingly. It did rise again after but clearly not the college but the lecturer which is important.

A NVQ is a work based award so it is really only apprentices who can take an NVQ when doing a full time course at college I considered taking one of the modern exams as some employers did not seem to know what my old exams were.

A nice lecturer offered to let me sit in on the lecturers for a day. At the end he said I guess it's not for you and he was 100% correct. It was not the course it was the students. It really was back to basics where students did not know gold was a conductor. Yes that basic. Being fair they could bend conduit but I watched with amazement them trying to form tray work.

It was that bad it looked as if a Plumber had done it. Maybe because I worked for very large firms I either got pre-formed or had a proper set of rollers and I will admit it takes some practice. But cutting out lumps and folding in a series of sharp bends is not what would have been accepted by my firms.

Both myself and my son were both faced with the problem I did a foundation degree he did a HND which are really the same level he used most of my books. For me it was 2 years full time for him 4 years part time.

He is now an electrical engineer in a large glass works and yet when he considered getting a JIB card they told him he would get a mates card and have to start at bottom unless he could get some one of good standing within the firm he worked for to recommend him. So natural question what about the electrical engineer would he be considered as high enough standing. Yes was the answer. He said well I think I am good enough and I am the electrical engineer. Next question was why do you as an electrical engineer want a JIB card?

So even level 5 will not get you a JIB card only way it would seem is to get a position of responsibility in a JIB firm. I found the same the JIB would not give me a card even with a degree and NICIC advance electrician status which was the industrial equivalent of JIB but all computerised rather than issuing a card.

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you? Leeds City College used to do a C&G level 3 NVQ, as all Government funding has now been withdrawn. It is no longer cheap to enrol on these courses. But you can take out the Advance 24+ loan which available to just about anyone!

I would suggest that you contacted C&G, and asked where the nearest training provider is for the NVQ level 3.
http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualif...echnical-services-and-systems#tab=information

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back