Best type of render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I want the rear elevation and part of the side of my bungalow rendered. The bricks look horrible on that part of the house, with mismatched colours on an old extension and ugly pointing, and I want to freshen it up. Perhaps there are other advantages as well, like weather repellency. The render will go from the DPC level to the soffit on the hipped roof original house and up to the fascia boards on the flat roofed extension.

It absolutely must be fully breathable as I don't want moisture issues in the walls, and it will need to be able to cope with green type staining from all the trees we have around here - or be easily washable with a hose. Part of it will also be fully exposed to the sun in the warmer months as well so being able to cope with that as well as rain.

I'd be grateful for any advice or thoughts about best types and what your experiences are.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi chaps,

I want the rear elevation and part of the side of my bungalow rendered. The bricks look horrible on that part of the house, with mismatched colours on an old extension and ugly pointing, and I want to freshen it up. Perhaps there are other advantages as well, like weather repellency. The render will go from the DPC level to the soffit on the hipped roof original house and up to the fascia boards on the flat roofed extension.

It absolutely must be fully breathable as I don't want moisture issues in the walls, and it will need to be able to cope with green type staining from all the trees we have around here - or be easily washable with a hose. Part of it will also be fully exposed to the sun in the warmer months as well so being able to cope with that as well as rain.

I'd be grateful for any advice or thoughts about best types and what your experiences are.

Many thanks!
I will never use s/c renders ever again, now that I have seen the superior performance of polymer renders. Go for one with a slight texture. Class gear. Our render man is top drawer regards his skill, attention to detail and his masking and cleanliness.

I would also go for K-rend but you need to apply the K-seal as well in order to help stop greening and make cleaning easier. Don't know what you mean by breathable though

Sponsored Links
I've been reading up on this and it seems that silicone render has a number of advantages over sand and cement, K rend and acrylic renders. It doesn't ever need to be painted, the colour is incorporated, it is self cleaning but can also be washed down, it is flexible, and waterproof but also allows water vapour out (breathable). Should last 25+ years if applied correctly. I think it might require a more skilled application though and is a bit more expensive.

Is this what your meant by polymer, Nose?

I've been reading up on this and it seems that silicone render has a number of advantages over sand and cement, K rend and acrylic renders. It doesn't ever need to be painted, the colour is incorporated, it is self cleaning but can also be washed down, it is flexible, and waterproof but also allows water vapour out (breathable). Should last 25+ years if applied correctly. I think it might require a more skilled application though and is a bit more expensive.

Is this what your meant by polymer, Nose?
I think I lumped them all in together, i.e. any of the modern pre-bagged renders that are not sand/cement renders. But yes, the pre-colured flexible renders are the bees.

The guys come and mask everywhere then mix up a base coat and apply mesh to the masonry as well as all the beading. Once this coat has dried and the suction is right, they apply the top finishing (coloured) coat.

K-rend is a brand. There are other modified renders available, but done right by a skilled person the finish can't be beat.

I've had a decent quote for the rendering job - using the silicone type. They've done work for people I know and are very good.

I've pointed out to the contractor that there is some dodgy pointing in the masonry at and below the DPC on a certain part of the house. I asked if they'd repoint that as part of the job. In response, he has said they can put the mesh and base coat on below DPC.

Any thoughts on this?

I want the bricks below DPC to be able to release moisture easily, which is why I wouldn't want them being painted as they sometimes are when people get render done. The bricks in question are wet during inclement weather conditions, presumably from ground water absorption and splashing.

Would this base coat he refers to be breathable and would that, combined with mesh, be a decent substitute for pointing?

I've had a decent quote for the rendering job - using the silicone type. They've done work for people I know and are very good.

I've pointed out to the contractor that there is some dodgy pointing in the masonry at and below the DPC on a certain part of the house. I asked if they'd repoint that as part of the job. In response, he has said they can put the mesh and base coat on below DPC.

Any thoughts on this?

I want the bricks below DPC to be able to release moisture easily, which is why I wouldn't want them being painted as they sometimes are when people get render done. The bricks in question are wet during inclement weather conditions, presumably from ground water absorption and splashing.

Would this base coat he refers to be breathable and would that, combined with mesh, be a decent substitute for pointing?
Don't render below the damp.

Masonry below DPC is permanently wet - no dramas.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I have seen a number of properties finished with K-Rend that look dirty after 6 or 7 years. I was under the impression that regular rainfall would keep them clean, but that clearly isn't alway the case.

Perhaps some properties need pressure washing with very long lances...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back