Best way of Bleeding Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had to empty my heating system as one of the screw in the flooring boards had gone through one of the pipes and I wasn't sure whether if it was the water pipe or the central heating system pipe.

I have now refilled the system by means of releasing the pressure valve in the system; I don't have a small tank in the loft any more since installing the mega flo system.

When I switch on the heating, the radiators are not getting hot. Presumably, there is air in the system.

When I open the radiator in our bedroom, there is no sign of any air in the system. Clean water just comes out.

What is the best way of bleeding the system. Should I try to bleed every radiator? Where should I start from - upstairs or downstairs. Should the heating be on when I bleed? Does one have to bleed the pump as well?
I don't know how to bleed the pump. It is a Grundfos pump. Is it easy to bleed a pump or should I seek expert help.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Everything turned off, motorized valves open in the manual position, and vent everything in sight, as well as the radiators.

...I have now refilled the system by means of releasing the pressure valve in the system...
:confused:

What do you mean by that? Opening a release valve does not fill the system.

When I open the radiator in our bedroom, there is no sign of any air in the system. Clean water just comes out.

Should I try to bleed every radiator? Where should I start from - upstairs or downstairs.
Bleed all rads, starting downstairs.

Should the heating be on when I bleed?

No

Sponsored Links
bengasman";p="1332412 said:
...I have now refilled the system by means of releasing the pressure valve in the system...
:confused:

What do you mean by that? Opening a release valve does not fill the system.

What I meant was there is a kind of a stop cock on one of the pipes in the airing cupboard on which a pressure gauge is fixed so that I know when to stop filling the system - usually about 1.5 to 2 bars.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back