Best way to apply and finish mastic sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to remove bath panel to get to drain to clear some hair out.I'm going to be adding a mastic sealant (for bathroom which is mould resistant) around the panel once its fixed in place.Any advice?How do I get the best finish?
I'm going to have a practise on something else first.How about cutting the sealant tube end?Whres best to cut it,at an angle or try to cut it so that it comes out at the thickness you want it?Finishing can you use soapy water on your finger to fsmooth and finish it?

Sponsored Links
1. Run masking tape along the line of the bath panel, both side of the join. You should be left with roughly a 5 to 10 mm exposed area with the join in the middle.

2. Open your sealant tube. Cut the cone end off the tube with a stanley knife. Then screw on the long nozzle and cut the end of this off. There are usually guide marks for different bead widths. I always use the middle one.

3. Squeeze the sealant along the line of the join.

4. Run a damp finger along the join with moderate pressure. Wipe off the excess.

5. Pull off the masking tape and inspect it. If there are any lumps or overspill simply use the same finger again (profile will be the same so you won't make a mess of it on a second pass).

Good idea to practice first. Having done sealant a few times now I am getting quite good at it. Don't know whether the pro's can do it without masking but when I have tried it makes a right mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back