Best way to cool down my loft......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a server in my loft space but it is currently way too hot.

There is no insulation under the roof tiles and I have been told that adding this will help a lot.

Can someone one please advise on the best insulation to use and also ways to ventilate that loft?

Thanks, Scott.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=382176#382176
The pic that I posted on this thread has been lost by the image hosting site, but if i remember correctly, it was just a box (built to the outside wall in your loft) that housed the pc case. In the box there was a vent to the outside and a fan blowing the air from inside the box to the loft space. This was controlled by a simple room thermostat. Obviously you'll need an access door on it.

Thanks!

I had not thought of that one. Ill have to bring a duct from the soffit as I do not have an external wall to put it against.

Does putting insulation under the roof tiles not help at all? Not even the expensive foil stuff?

Did the solution work out for you?

Rgds, Scott.

Sponsored Links
scotster said:
Thanks!

Does putting insulation under the roof tiles not help at all? Not even the expensive foil stuff?

Rgds, Scott.

If it's for the protection of the machine, then it will be easier to insulate the box. Build a biggish box of mdf and line it with insulation. I'd also line it with 12mil plasterboard, as fire protection in case the machine should develop a fault. But I worry too much.

Don't forget to use a vent with built in insect mesh, or you'll end up with a server case full of flies!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back