Best way to cut 23 pieces of 2440mm * 1220mm * 12mm plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This may seem a pretty silly question, but...

I am going to buy 23 pieces of 2440mm * 1220mm * 12mm plywood to put on our floorboards before putting wooden floors down. I have decided on 12mm rather than 6mm or 9mm because of the extra thickness will help even out the floorboards more and provide a bit more sound insulation from below.

I am pretty sure I won't be able to get these large pieces up the stairs in one bit, so I will need to cut them beforehand. As this is a large number I want an efficient way to do it.

I have a circular saw and a new jigsaw (Bosch PST 900 Pel Compact Jigsaw), which I bought for the wooden floors.

I used my circular saw for cutting ply before and the edges were quite rough, even when the blade was new.

As I understand it jigsaws make cleaner cuts and circular saws are for quick rough cuts. Due to this I am thinking of using the jigsaw.

Is there a specific type of blade to get for ply? The instructions seemed to indicate for "mulitplex" which looked like ply to me I would need a 308BF

Sorry for what must seem a basic question to most.

Regards,

Ian

Sponsored Links
I'd use a circular saw anytime, Ian.....you can get finer blades if you want, although a raggy edge may not be too much of an issue in your case.
The larger DIY sheds will cut them for you for a small fee - it could be worth it.
John :)

Thanks for quick reply - hadn't considered a better blade for the circular saw. Also wanted to use my new shiny saw!

Will look into the shop cutting it for me.

Thanks again

Circular saws shouldn't be rough except for some splintering on the blade exit (which is why you cut good side down), and even that is preventable with a good blade and some care (duct tape, it works wonders).

I suspect you've got either a crap blade or a wobbly saw.

Sponsored Links
I would use a circular saw any time in preference to a jigsaw.
guided by a tacked on batten (with suitable offset allowance)
the resulting cut should be square, wich is certainly not the case when cutting with a jigsaw.

Wotan

If you purchase that quatity of timber from a timber merchant they should to happy to cut it and deliver for you [simply cutting in half should suffice] the 12mm will have no effect on sound proofing.

yep get them from your wood yard and get them to cut
check if cutting them exactly in halve will cause problems with joins lining up
if you use the shed cutting service its per cut so ask how many sheets they will cut at once

as said above extra thickness will make no difference to sound transference

yep get them from your wood yard and get them to cut
check if cutting them exactly in halve will cause problems with joins lining up
if you use the shed cutting service its per cut so ask how many sheets they will cut at once

as said above extra thickness will make no difference to sound transference

Thanks for all your replies guys, appreciate your help.

I am surprised that 12mm rather than 6mm ply wouldn't make a difference to sound transference, but I am never done this before so will trust you on this one.

I live in South East London. Can someone suggest a good place to get the ply? I was going to get it from Wickes but as far as I know they don't cut it.

One other thing, there are several types of ply. Which is suitable, WBP?

Thanks again guys,

Ian

I am a flooring retailer and would offer the following advice...

As the guy`s above have said please use 6mm ply!

you will be pleasantly surprised at just how well it will level your floors, it will also cut down on draughts!

....BUT....

be aware that you will have to fix it at no more than 15cm centres for it to be effective. You can either screw or nail it. If you nail it use ring shank nails and size them so that they cannot damage any wires or pipes under your floor. obviously size screws so that they dont cause any damage either.
6mm ply will cut using a sharp stanley knife and straight edge, but do not try to do it one cut and keep ALL parts of your body well out of the way (dont ask about a fitter who cut his scrotum open :eek: )

you should be able to acheive tight joints with little difficulty

Good luck

(dont ask about a fitter who cut his scrotum open :eek: )
Good luck

Ouch, and I thought working with computers was dangerous!

Seriously though thanks for the advice, particularly about distance the screws need to be apart.

I didn't appreciate that the draughts would be cut down, partner will be very pleased!

I gave Whitten Timber a bell earlier on, very helpful indeed.

Thanks again,

Ian

I love Only Fools and Horses but must admit I am a bit lost as to the the relevance :( Is it just because they are based in Peckam or is there a problem with them?

All I want is some lovely gubbly ply for the floors!

Bonjour!

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back