Best way to finish an external corner using 10mm slate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to tile the top of a sink unit with 400mm x 400mm natural slate tiles. The width of the unit is 400mm. How would I obtain the best corner finish using these tiles on the external corner - between the top of the surface (horizontal) and the 200mm high vertical pelmet.

The edge of the tiles supplied are nicely cut and quite smooth. I don't want to use a corner bead if possible. Is it just a case of butting them up to each other and leaving the edge showing so it is flush with the tile that sits beneath it - and if so I assume I would leave the horizontal face exposed.

Sponsored Links
I would mitre the external corners; you will need a diamond wet disk tile cutter & it can be tricky if you’re inexperienced. Don’t mitre the tile edge to a point, it will be sharp & too fragile, leave a small land of about 1mm wide on each tile.

Sponsored Links
Never been too sure myself but, yes, that does look nice & obviously works well with natural stone tiles; conventional tiles may look a bit naff though ;)

Yes I agree Richard,unless the colour is continuous through the tile then trim is better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back