best way to fix shower seat help/advive needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my mother in law had her son in law fix her a wall mounted shower seat when he came for a visit (from France so he wont be back for a while), he often does stuff for his daughter too in the UK when he visits so he has loads of tools/drills that he leaves over here.

When I went there she asked me to have a look at it because it felt like it moved a tiny bit, ie she was not confident it would take the weight (she's about 140lbs). I took it off to have a good look and the 3 coach bolts were tight but not as tight as I would have liked. Also it is mounted on the tile which I suppose is the normal way.

Anyway she has cavity walls, the bolts (x3) are 80mm long and about 10mm in size. The external facing wall's internal wall part appears to be breeze block with the outside being a pebble dashed brick.

I don't feel the bolts are long enough really (although they came with the seat with instructions to drill a hole 85mm deep) but any longer and I suppose they would be into the cavity. I was wondering is there any bolt that I could use that could go into the brick from the inside and offer grip in the brick ie almost bypassing the breeze block and just using it to rest on, but gripping in the brick?

The other thing I wondered about is getting some 10mm studding and putting the threaded studs right through to the outside with nuts and washers and then repairing the wall and repainting ie it would not be hard for me to hide that outside as the pebble dash is of a very chunky type and painted, not the usual small stuff. I know this method may sound a bit odd but I thought it would work.

What I am hoping is that someone on here can tell me an easier way which can be done from the inside only and does not involve the outside, ....... and is very very strong so that we don't have to worry as she is 86 and I would not want her to fall.

Also do the tiles normally cope ok with the pressure of a seat with a person it? Its on a single tile about 25cm x 33cm. and has a plate with the bolts going through it.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand how they could be coach bolts. How could you get a nut on the end in the cavity ?

Sorry was not sure of exact name but these are them

http://www.screwfix.com/p/coach-screws-bzp-m6-x-90mm-pack-of-100/11079

maybe should have called them coach screws.

Not sure what size they are the link above is just to show type not exact size but holes drilled were 12mm x 85mm according to instructions, if they were drilled correctly, so I assume screws are M10 or M12, correct me if I am wrong though.

They came with giant ordinary rawlplugs, which does not seem the best idea to me.

I was wondering also about a chemical fixing or is breeze block just not strong enough, bit stuck, help, what do you think is best to sort this out?

IMO what you have is unsuitable as I don't think a plastic plug can withstand this load being placed on it without wearing very quickly and thus giving rise to extra movement. I also don't think the approx 40 mm bearing-surface you have (guesstimate thickness tile and wall of block ) is enough and I cannot propose an alternative solution - sorry.

Chemical fixing would be very difficult as you would normally use it in a blind hole where the bolt then forces the resin to be extruded back along the bolt and completely fill the hole to spread the load: obviously this won't happen in a hollow block.

Sponsored Links
Why not try posting in the Tile forum? Or go on johnbridge.com - one of the best and friendliest diy forums on the web. They are expert in all things tile and bathroom, try it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back