Best way to get a straight edge when painting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am painting my lounge magnolia but I would like to paint the chimney breast in a deep red colour. Whats the best way of getting a good edge between the two colours?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Best thing is a steady hand but if you aint got that, you could try low tack masking tape and pull off when the paint is still wet.

Hi, Yes the colour change will be in a corner. I will try tape and see how I get on.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Masking tape can give an edge that is too true. I doubt your chiminey is as straight as the tape.
You will achieve the best finish by hand.

as you look at the corner there will be a "blind side..." imagine its two pieces of wood at right angles - one will be behind the other -paint that one first then when you paint the second one keep back from the true edge, that way your not looking at the line and any overlaps won`t be so obvious

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back