Best way to get light in garage with no electricty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Best way to get light in garage with no electricty?

i have a small but silly problem, i have a garage in a row of garages,
i would like to put my weights and gym equipment in there.
i would like to have an some sort of lighting in there but there is no electricty hook up,
i am thinking of getting a car battery and attaching a car inspection lamp to it, but i am not sure how long the battery would last,

does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
depends on wattage of lamp, condition of battery as to how long it will last.

IMO you would be better off with several small lamps as opposed to one big lamp, (one lamp will cause shadows / dark areas)

why not try several "number plate lamps" (being only 5 watt) or a set of cheapo garden lights as thes usually have 5 watt lamps, and also come with cable
these are 7 W
0000005050550_bq1_1_x.jpg

Yes i am being serious, the above lights are form a well known on line shed, but i am sure i have seen 6, 5 W lights for less than double figures in the actual shed

you could consider using leds, but although these draw very little current they are bright, but only light a small area, so you will need quite a few.

what ever yo do do, DO, use a low rated in line fuse just off your battery, so if anything does go wrong you wont start a fire

can you please explain what this is?
a low rated in line fuse just off your battery,

Sponsored Links
its a low rated fuse in an inline fuse holder that is in line with your battery

ek34.jpg

gosh, too slow :(

breezer said:
I like this - a self-fulfilling fuse. It's designed to prevent a short circuit, which it provides itself! :)

I wonder if the OP can get onto the roof of the garage, and install solar panels? That way his battery would be charged (somewhat) for nothing and with no hassle.

Maplin used to have a 15W 12V solar panel for £80, but I see it's gone up to a ton, which is a shame...

Cheers,

Howard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back