best way to gloss an internal wooden door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, im after glossing my living room door i just need to ask a few questions, do i need to undercoat the door if so with what type of paint? also do i just give it one coat of gloss? any help would be appriciated thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Best way is to sand it smooth then paint with undercoat (that's what it's called) Wilko's oil based is dead cheap and really good stuff.

When it's dry - give it a light sand with 120 grit paper.

Then use a liquid gloss that's diluted a tiny bit until it flows. Then paint it as fast as you can so that the brush marks drop out.

thanks for the quick reply i did forget to mention the door is brand new and hant been painted before. does the undercoat and sanding still apply thanks joe

If it's brand new you will get best results if you prime it first then sand it lightly with 120 grit paper.

Sponsored Links
Focus do a nice quick dry primer & undercoat (own brand), you simply brush it on thinly as \ primer then 1/2 hour later (after rubbing down) give it another thicker coat as undercoat.
1/2 hour later rub down & gloss.

Have a look around in other big DIY stores, I'm finding it's worth paying a few quid more for the quick drying stuff as I find the cheaper stuff takes ages to dry & is still tacky the next day.

When you buy doors from DIY sheds like B&Q and they come white, is there any need to prime them, or would it be okay to sand them down and gloss over them immediately?

Also, what is the best way to physically layout the door to paint it? Flat down on a workstop? upright against a wall?

Do you need to paint one half, then the other, in order to rest the door against something to work on one side? How do you guys do it?

The pre-primed doors only need primer on the raw edges after they have been hung. Then one coat of under coat and usually one coat of topcoat to finish.
Most decorators will paint the door in place, wedge the bottom of the door after placing some lining paper underneath to protect the floor covering. Paint the door edges first then if a four or six panel door, paint the panels first, then the center rails, the the top, middle and bottom rails, working outwards and finally the side rails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back