best way to hang the 35kg projector screen to living room wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install a 150" motorised scree in living room, just below the ceiling coving where the red bar in the photo. It's 35kg so thought I'd lookng for some advise how to securely fix it to the wall. I think the bracket for the screen will take 5mm screws maybe slightly larger one as well. It's the outside wall that I 'm going to install the screen so its standard cavity brick wall but I 'm not s sure the brick type of the internal wall. Shall I use some long metal sleeved screws for best result given the weight of the screen?

View media item 100599

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are all sorts of fixings from basic wall plugs with screws, sleeve anchors, Rawl bolts through to chemical anchor products. They'll all provide more than enough fixing force; the make or break will be the material you're fixing in to.

Depending on the age of the building you could be dealing with a double skin of solid brick, or hollow brick, or internal walls made of cinder block. Its likely too you'll have a lintel above the window to cope with the weight of brickwork above. That'll probably be solid concrete. So, I'd suggest drilling a test hole or two to determine just what's behind the paper and plaster.

Ordinary building brick is going to give a red dust. Hollow brick will be red dust then give way to the air space inside. Cinder block / aerated block / Celcon (trade name) / Thermalite (trade name) will give grey dust. I've been to new builds where the internal skin is dot-n-dab plasterboard then the inner wall beyond is this kind of aerated brick where I could push a screwdriver a good 6" deep in to the brick with little effort at all. For hanging anything heavy from these porous blocks I've used chemical/resin anchors and sunk studs, but that might not be appropriate where you have limited clearance between the bracket and the back of the screen. Ordinary screws in to purpose-designed wall plugs for such block would do. The only caveat is that if your fixing point hits the edgeof a block, or worse the corner, then the block may not be so strong at that point.

Cinder block / aerated block / Celcon (trade name) / Thermalite (trade name) will give grey dust. I've been to new builds where the internal skin is dot-n-dab plasterboard then the inner wall beyond is this kind of aerated brick where I could push a screwdriver a good 6" deep in to the brick with little effort at all. For hanging anything heavy from these porous blocks I've used chemical/resin anchors and sunk studs, but that might not be appropriate where you have limited clearance between the bracket and the back of the screen. Ordinary screws in to purpose-designed wall plugs for such block would do. The only caveat is that if your fixing point hits the edgeof a block, or worse the corner, then the block may not be so strong at that point.

Thanks a lot for the informative reply. I 've installed a curtain rail in the next room and it was grey duct that came out when drilling - and it felt very easy to get loose when I was inserting the plastic screw plugs. Below is a picture of the internal wall of my garage, I'd assume it's the same block I have in living room, so these are the aerated blocks? I dont have much clearance at the back of the screen casing, so I'll try to use some long screws maybe 8cm? does it matters if the block is less than 8cm thick and part of the screw+plug is actually in the cavity hence no grabbing/contect at all?

View media item 100790

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Rigifix link and Plasplugs CPS 120 link.

The Rigifix ones work in Thermalite/aerated block as well as regular brick. The M6 versions will hold 140kg if the wall is up to it. The other thing they do is bridge the air gap between the wall and the plasterboard finish if the wall is dot 'n dabbed. That's useful because it means the weight of what is being hung is transferred to fixing and the wall behind rather than resting on the relatively weak plasterboard surface.

Plasplugs CPS120 are closer to a traditional wall plug, but these are designed to cut in to the relatively soft block and provide a firm anchor point for a regular screw. The web site and pack both say this is a heavy duyty fixing, but there's no indication what "Heavy Duty" means in terms of loading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back