Best way to hang this type of mirror....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first time poster but regular visitor to this site.

I'm in the process of decorating my new house and am putting a mirror above my fireplace (solid wall).

I'm rubbish at diy so was wondering what the best way to attach a mirror with the brackets below? (these were on the back when I bought it new)

U5tq7Eh.jpg

There are two brackets along the top and two at one of the side which is why it looks like there are two in the corner in the picture.

I was assuming I could hang it by using heavy duty cable and drilling a hole for one of these..
QSDTxXx.jpg

I have a few concerns that the d-rings on the back of the mirror are very close to the top of it, will this be ok as long as I tie the cable tight enough? The hook will sit out from the wall about 2cm, will this be very noticeable or is that the way most mirrors hang?

Basically am I going about this the right way or is there a really obvious alternative method that I'm missing?

For info: the mirror is about 120 cm by 80 cm and around 10kg in weight maybe a bit more.

Many thanks in advance for any advice as it would be greatly appreciated!

Will.

Sponsored Links
I can't tell is there a wood backing to the mirror and those fixing are screwed in the back? if it has a wood backing -

I have a bigger heavier mirror 180cm x 80 and after messing around with hooks, with I took the existing fixing off (which looked like yours) and fitted 3 flush mounted fittings (and 3 on the wall). you just have to be careful the screws on the mirror aren't too long and be very exact. Easy to take on and off and looks good flush too!

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Iro...ng/Flushmount+Fitting+35mm/d170/sd2668/p60564

Yes there's a wood backing about 1cm thick and those fixings are screwed in.

That looks like a good solution you've come up with, I'm just not sure I'd be confident enough to fit those myself, I'd be worried about messing it up.

I just don't really understand how the fixtures attached are supposed to be used

1cm is the same as mine. When I meant be exact I mean the fixings on the wall have to align with the ones on the mirror as they hook into each other.

To fix I used a laser level and a tape measure, obviously drill and long screws / plugs for the wall.

As you say, the origional fixings are used with metal wire, through the hoops and hanging on a couple of hooks on the wall. http://www.wikihow.com/Hang-a-Heavy-Mirror

Sponsored Links
If you want it tight to wall then just level a line , drill, plug and insert a pan head screw at each end and hook loops directly too them. If you use wire the mirror will hang away from the wall, depends on your preference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back