Best way to heat a shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, some advice needed please.

I had an extension on the house this year which included a shower/toilet room (measures 8m3 with three external walls). I didn't bother plumbing a wet radiator in as I did not believe my boiler would handle any more (it's a Glowworm 30cxi with 9 radiators on the system). I thought I would get away with a combination of a 2kw wall mounted fan heater (installed in Zone 3 of the shower room above the door) and a 500w electric panel towel radiator next to the shower itself. However, with winter well and truly here, it is quite obvious that these are simply not effective enough, especially as the fan heater is manual and by the time you've finished in the loo it's not worth switching it on! The towel radiator is fine for what it was designed to do, but no good as heating up the room.

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to some cost-efficient, easy-to-install alternatives. Can my boiler can take extra rads? It is only 4 years old and although getting the pipework to the shower room would be a challenge, it can be done.

Any help would be appreciated to stop the missus bending my ear!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Replace the towel radiator with an ordinary one. Even the smallest of these will have a greater heat output than a towel radiator.

Replace the towel radiator with an ordinary one. Even the smallest of these will have a greater heat output than a towel radiator.

Nice idea, but the OP says that the towel rad is electric, so it couldn't easily be replaced by an ordinary 'wet' radiator.

FWIW, your boiler would have absolutely no problems in running more radiators - the maximum CH output is somewhere in the region of 22kW.

Sponsored Links
How is the fan heater wired in - it may be possible to install some kind of timer outside the room (possibly linked to a room thermostat) which will operate it automatically. Post on the electric forum - they're often full of bright ideas, especially if you can get round their obsession with part P ;)

How is the fan heater wired in - it may be possible to install some kind of timer outside the room (possibly linked to a room thermostat) which will operate it automatically. Post on the electric forum - they're often full of bright ideas, especially if you can get round their obsession with part P ;)

Mind you, you have to get over the Gas Safe obsession on the plumbing and CH forum first :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back