Best way to join skirting to staircase - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I bought some torus skirting board as I didn’t like he old style previous home owner had - which was basic 3” straight skirting

Anywya - under radiatior I’m happy enough with the “join”

But any advice on how to join to the other side of the staircase? See attached pics

At the moment I’ve kept their bigger skirting piece - but rather it be a torus - joined best as possible to staircase skirting which is “straight”

Attachments

• 31D2CCEF-32E1-43C7-9863-30C5B2F99AAE.jpeg
    31D2CCEF-32E1-43C7-9863-30C5B2F99AAE.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 9611DF4C-B582-4139-9252-C45B3C7CABFD.jpeg
    9611DF4C-B582-4139-9252-C45B3C7CABFD.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 994
Sponsored Links
probably the easiest is to do a return end about 15mm from the string
return end is the same as going round an external corner but into the wall
other choice is to remove about 15mm from the end off the string to a point the string and skirting tops intersect

You're going to love me!

Is the skirting going to be painted? Is it just screwed on?

I would be tempted to take it all off and refix it, adding some timber at the bottom to bring it up to the same height as the stringer/original square. One option would be to take it higher, then apply a bead to the existing woodwork to blend it in.

Second option is to just go to the height of the stringer and not apply a bead- with this one you'd replace the existing old skirting with the new - but tweak just that bit's height.

Nobody is going to compare the two sides
But they will notice a step

Then paint the lot

Sponsored Links
Yes painted as I bought the raw wood torus

I can’t make it go same height because it sits on the floorboard and only comes up to about 3/5 of the height of their skirting board..

Well, you can, by adding a piece underneath
Just something the same thickness. Ideally cut at an angle where the two parts meet

Ok so like it is now but basically replace their piece with my torus board.

Not keen on raising height as other torus boards will be shorter however!

Don’t thibk there’s a “nice” way about it!

The answer to skirting problems is nearly always: Use a plinth block.
You can make one quite easily from a scrap piece of timber, and add chamfers or route a nice profile into it to make it as decorative as you like.
fox.jpg

fox-jpg.149895

Here's a more fancy-pants solution:
img1.JPG

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back