Best way to join wires ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've successfully bypassed my oven timer and now need to safely join 3 wires together. Every YouTube vid I've seen shows insulation tape being used.

I was thinking of soldering and heat shrink.

Any better solutions ? Am concerned about heat as it's in the top of the oven.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not just insulation tape, surely - as in just stuck together?

Any method that can withstand the heat is acceptable.

Aren't most of the joints in the oven spade connectors?

Yes spade connectors to components which are fixed to the oven chassis. These 3 wires can be connected via spade connectors but how to insulate the connectors as the "connection" will be floating and not fixed to the chassis.

Wago are 100c max.

Unsure what the max continuous temp for heat shrink (after it's shrunk!) Is - anyone know?

Oven gets to 220c

Am asking what I can use to connect the 3 safely. I was thinking soldering and ceramic connector but can't find a small one. I don't think the wires carry much load, they are from the relays and suspect they trigger a larger relay for the heating element.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oven gets to 220c
Not on the part where the wiring is, I hope

(An oven is an insulated box with a heater inside and controls outside. No way it would survive if the whole unit reached the same temp as the cooking compartment)

Yeh I suspect I'm overthinking it to some degree and agree the section with components won't get to 220c but I'm not comfortable using insulation tape either.

The adhesive used on insulation tape will go soft and the tape will unwind even with moderate heat. I would solder and use heat shrink.

Thanks for all the help

I found in BandQ some wago style connectors (max 105c) and also these solder shrink wrap tubes so I tried the latter. Not convinced there was enough solder but it seems solid enough. Only issue is the steel wire was quite sharp and in danger of poking through the shrink wrap.

Attachments

• PXL_MWP_20230422_163257908.jpg
    PXL_MWP_20230422_163257908.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_MWP_20230422_163250948.jpg
    PXL_MWP_20230422_163250948.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 40
No easy way to test electrically how good the connection is. Mechanically it's very strong.

Unsure whether to snip it off and just use the push fit connectors after all lol

Solder can creep, if the joint is mechanically sound then solder added to ensure not electrical bad connection great, but getting solder to form an alloy and connect correctly is not quite as easy as it seems. And with non lead solder the flux is really nasty stuff, the solder may be safe, but not the flux so some way to ensure you don't breath in fumes.

The crimp needs to grip the wire well, which means expensive crimp pliers, although just looked and have gone down in price so can get £15 versions for insulated crimps.

Temperature depends on where on the oven and it seems likely not that hot where you are working.

Mechanical strength is also important, epoxy lined shrink sleeve can both insulate and give mechanical strength, some crimps also either crimp the wire with the plastic or can use shrink sleeve built in, it depends on type used, but also the crimp needs to match the pliers, all red crimps are not the same.

The maintenance free push connector can do a good job, but getting shrink sleeve over them is unlikely to work, and it depends if there is likely to be any movement.

You say three wires, so not sure if you can crimp or not.

You can still get ceramic/porcelin connector blocks for high termperature applications. I wouldn't have tjough B&Q would carry them though, readily available online though and decent wholesalers should stock them

Thanks. I went with the solder/shrink thing above in the end. Unless anyone thinks that looks terrible? I haven't used them before.

Scrwfix sell those:

I went with the solder/shrink thing above in the end
I think it will be fine. Does the oven work? Then run with that and if it fails again go for another strategy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back