Best way to light up pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im installing downlights in alcoves and in the opposite side of the ceiling, where a picture will be placed. What are the best downlighters to use. Fixed, adjustable or scoop items?

Sponsored Links
Cheers, LEDS dont seem to give off much light though and CFL's seem to givr a weird colour light off dont they!?

Cheers, LEDS dont seem to give off much light though and CFL's seem to givr a weird colour light off dont they!?

LEDs give off plenty of light if you select the right ones. Those with 20+ in a cluster are useless. But those with 3 high power LEDs are much better. They are more expensive though (the most expensive), but you wont have to buy them twice. They dont give off as much light as they claim, BUT they are plenty sufficient for lighting an alcove. Buy warm white though.

CFL GU10s are getting there, but warm up is still an issue. They light my bathroom fantastically (left on all night so warm up not an issue)

Sponsored Links
Great, can you advise of any good suppliers of LED downlighters... Ive been through Aurora and Robus catalogue, but wattage is like 1 or only 3 watt. Are these the companies that are the quality I should be aiming for?

Most photographic studios will both reflect light and defuse light to illuminate the object. However they have the advantage of only requiring light for a fraction of a second. At home we also have the problem of colour temperature and most of the so called "Warm" lights have too low of a temperature to correctly illuminate a picture.
The small 50mm lights with a high colour temperature 4500degsK tend to have a tight angle 38 degs in this case where the larger 121mm dia PAR 38 lamp has an angle of 110 degs. The traditional Picture lamp is normally a long tube and there has been a move away from tungsten to high frequency discharge. But there are so many variables including the back ground lighting and if one is going to hang a Turner on ones wall I would hope one would not rely on a DIY forum to work out lighting!

However I am sure you can use a protractor and work out the angle corner to corner of the picture and allowing for where people are likely to stand work out the number and angle of the lights required.

You can also judge as to how important colour temperature is to that picture and if lighting is likely to damage the picture.

However I can't see how a bunch of electricians who have never seen your room or your picture will ever agree to how to light it.

Even the colour of your wall and ceiling will effect the light. I would suggest a visit to local art gallery and note how they light their pictures then consider how you can adapt this for yours.

You also need to consider the long term effect the various types of light will have on the picture.

I don't have the details but I seem to recall that fluorescent light is not suitable as it fades the pigments over time.

Ok cheers, just thought Id see if any of you guys have done anything like this at all. It will be a picture on canvas framed from a graphics company... nothing that exspensive to be honest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back