best way to smooth / prepare plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had two plaster jobs done by different people..first seemed ok at the time but now comparing it to the 2nd job it is far from great - but not bad enough to say do it again...
My question is how best to rub down newly plastered work to get a better finish...its plaster on plasterboard, it hasnt got huge ridges and dips but is far from a mirror finish....dont mind putting some effort in to improve it..

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
it hasnt got huge ridges and dips but is far from a mirror finish....dont mind putting some effort in to improve it..
it dosent have to be a mirror finish if it hasent got ridges or hollows whats up with it?, the second plaster may have polished his up a bit but that doesnt mean the 1st plasterer was cr@p give the walls a mist coat and see if you have any blemishes youve already said there is none so i guess it will paint fine, it may also take paint better than your polished wall as the polished wall will be more closed in

stevethespreader";p="2669894 said:
it hasnt got huge ridges and dips but is far from a mirror finish....dont mind putting some effort in to improve it..
it dosent have to be a mirror finish if it hasent got ridges or hollows whats up with it?, the second plaster may have polished his up a bit but that doesnt mean the 1st plasterer was cr@p give the walls a mist coat and see if you have any blemishes

ok thanks.. no wouldnt describe it as @@@p job..but certainly not as neat as 2nd one done... what do you recommend i rub it down with please?

Sponsored Links
Hi.. not sure a photo will show it too well... its not horrendous, just that its a prominent wall so want it as good as possible, will try remedial work when we decorate.

Why dont you get the first plasterer back and let him skim over the second plasterers work?

You mean, so it's all crap Roy? :confused:

Steve`s right - polishing plaster is a pointless exercise - unless you want to P iss off the painters :LOL: . Get a mist coat on and then finefill with a dec`s broadknife. I wouldn`t start sanding patches of bare plaster- you`ll end up with different textures

I have no idea how to do this but HELP! I live in a house built in 1890 with lathe and plaster walls that have been painted. I am trying to repair cracks minor and major and then want to just do a skim coat over. What is the best way to do this? Can't take it down and drywall because the woodwork is extensive and would need to be taken off which would ruin it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back