Best way to stain/oil my Douglas Fir bar top?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've just bought a length of Douglas Fir from a Saw mill to go on as my top for my home bar. Problem is I have hand sanded it down and applied a few different colour stains on 'tester' parts and even clear danish oil but none has looked right, it has just enhanced the middle black. Help please as it is doing my nut in.

Pictures here.
//www.diynot.com/network/will84/albums/

Sponsored Links
Depends what you are looking for, I would use a medium oak die and danish oil or teak oil or even top oil if it's to get heavy use.Stains will wear off.

Depends what you are looking for, I would use a medium oak die and danish oil or teak oil or even top oil if it's to get heavy use.Stains will wear off.

I just want it to look old and traditional. Do you mean use oak die then use danish oil on top?

Yes or for a paler colour add you dye to danish oil assuming it's not water based dye.

Sponsored Links
It looks as though its already had a coating of cuprinol wood preservative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back