Best way to stop leaking valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

The inlet valve on the upstairs toilet has started to leak(see below) and I was just wondering on the best way to fix it please.

I was thinking first to turn the water supply off, undo the bolt, then clean it and wrap some PFTE tape round it and redo the bolt.

Is there anything else that will need doing?

Cheers!

DSCF00241.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like the plastic thread has developed a leak/hole to me.

You need to replace the whole ball valve assembly with a new one.

Make sure you tell whoever that it is a bottom entry one. (assuming those are floor tiles :confused: )

Make sure you tell whoever that it is a bottom entry one. (assuming those are floor tiles )

The op must be a real midget if they are Dave, the cistern would only be about five inches off the floor. :LOL:

Make sure you tell whoever that it is a bottom entry one. (assuming those are floor tiles )

The op must be a real midget if they are Dave, the cistern would only be about five inches off the floor. :LOL:

Lol, there is a platform behind the toilet and the pipes come from the platform into the toilet.

Will the valve that I need to replace be specific to the toilet brand?

Sponsored Links
I agree with dave on this one.....usually the plastic spilts and no amount of ptfe will seal it. Replace the valve.....you already have a service valve fitted....use it. ten quid tops.......5 if you use screw fix

and in a special land where water drips sideways ;)

I agree with dave on this one.....usually the plastic spilts and no amount of ptfe will seal it. Replace the valve.....you already have a service valve fitted....use it. ten quid tops.......5 if you use screw fix

Cheers,

I have stopped the leak by turning the screw clockwise on the valve. Do you have a link to the part I need from screwfix?

Cheers! :D

That looks like an Ideal Standard cistern in which case you will need a Torbeck type valve to clear the overflow pipe. Screw-fix part no 55211

That looks like an Ideal Standard cistern in which case you will need a Torbeck type valve to clear the overflow pipe. Screw-fix part no 55211

Cheers, ordered that part from Toolstation as I needed a few other bits.

Thanks for everyones help!

Hi, just to add, when you replace the plastic unit, also replace the fibre washer that fits between the ball valve and unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back