Best way to tile to floor when fitting lino?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fully tiling my bathroom and am fitting lino to the floor. I was wondering which way is best to manage the joint between wall and floor:

a) tile to floor then butt lino up to tile, or
b) leave larger gap at floor then slide lino underneath tile edge

In both cases I'll obviously run a bead of silicone round the joint to seal and cover any slight gap that's left.

The room has a floating floor onto which I've screwed 12mm ply down at 300mm centres to stiffen it somewhat.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's quite difficult to get a dead level cut edge on a row of tiles, so your gap may look uneven. I think you'll find it easier to hide the gap if you tile to the floor and butt the lino against the tile.

I've been searching the forums about the same problem - vinyl floor and tiles on wall.

I was inclined the other way - if you put vinyl down under the tile edge, then it would hold the vinyl flat and stop it curling over time. And a silicone bead over the tile should hide any rough edge.

However I've not done it yet so certainly not an expert! What do others think?

Sponsored Links
Ah - that's another thought. I'd thought that we wouldn't skirt so you have a completely water resistant edge.

The same question then - would you put skirting over the lino to hold it down, or lino up to the skirting edge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back