Between a rock and a hard place.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A close friend of the family has taken on a job to build a "conservatory". He has asked me to build the shell (bricks/blocks cavity wall), which I have agreed to. Following my advise the customer had contacted the local building control office. Plans were submitted and an inspector was due to turn up the day after the foundations were dug. Unfortunately, due to rain, the digging was delayed and so the inspection was cancelled.

The digging has now been carried out, and concrete poured, but I gather, that no inspector has been near nor by. It now turns out that the existing door, windows and brickwork beneath, will be removed. I don't think this was on the plans submitted. This, in my mind, makes this an extention (not a conservatory). I have also overheard my friend telling the customer that "building control have decided that, this is such a small job they don't need to be involved".

I am starting to suspect that he has cut the local building control office out of the loop (by telling them that the job isn't going ahead or something). I am also a little suspect that one part of the foundations were not dug to an appropriate depth. (I can't tell as all I can see now is the top of the concrete that has already been poured).

I find myself in a very embarassing position. I don't want to start rocking the boat by calling anyone a lier, but I don't want to be part of a construction that may become a huge embarassment, to us all, in due course. After all, if the customer decides to sell, at sometime in the future, a decent surveyor may well ask to see a completion certificate for the work. Even worse, if my suspicions about the foundations are correct there could be some subsidance in due course and then the whole sorry state will come to light.

Should I blythly turn a blind eye? (after all, I'm only a brickie on this job), or should I stir things up by bringing my suspicions out into the open? (This would probably cause a major family rift).

Sponsored Links
After all, if the customer decides to sell, at sometime in the future, a decent surveyor may well ask to see a completion certificate for the work.

I think you'd be wise to diplomatically drop in a few mentions of the above point and the implications of not having the correct permissions for your own peace of mind if nothing else. At the end of the day it won't be your problem but if you've pointed it out then you've done what can apart from shopping the guy to BC which, as you say, will cause other problems.

TexMex said:
A close friend of the family has taken on a job to build a "conservatory". He has asked me to build the shell (bricks/blocks cavity wall), which I have agreed to. Following my advise the customer had contacted the local building control office. Plans were submitted and an inspector was due to turn up the day after the foundations were dug. Unfortunately, due to rain, the digging was delayed and so the inspection was cancelled.

The digging has now been carried out, and concrete poured, but I gather, that no inspector has been near nor by. It now turns out that the existing door, windows and brickwork beneath, will be removed. I don't think this was on the plans submitted. This, in my mind, makes this an extention (not a conservatory). I have also overheard my friend telling the customer that "building control have decided that, this is such a small job they don't need to be involved".

I am starting to suspect that he has cut the local building control office out of the loop (by telling them that the job isn't going ahead or something). I am also a little suspect that one part of the foundations were not dug to an appropriate depth. (I can't tell as all I can see now is the top of the concrete that has already been poured).

I find myself in a very embarassing position. I don't want to start rocking the boat by calling anyone a lier, but I don't want to be part of a construction that may become a huge embarassment, to us all, in due course. After all, if the customer decides to sell, at sometime in the future, a decent surveyor may well ask to see a completion certificate for the work. Even worse, if my suspicions about the foundations are correct there could be some subsidance in due course and then the whole sorry state will come to light.

Should I blythly turn a blind eye? (after all, I'm only a brickie on this job), or should I stir things up by bringing my suspicions out into the open? (This would probably cause a major family rift).

Being born with, a rather tastefully done, yellow streak down my back I would be inclined to 'invent' a sudden 'back condition' ; that meant my friend would have to get someone else to do my bit.
Saves aggro all round. :confused:

You could always speak to building control yourself. People are always ringing up to check their neighbours' extension is legit. Your friend won't know it is you who did it. At worse, the customer might think they have a nosy neighbour.

Just tell them there is some construction work being done at that address, and say you want to know if proper permission has been sought. If it hasn't, they will no doubt be round there to check.

You really don't want to be associated with a job that goes wrong, reputation is important in the building trade. If you end up with a reputation as a "dodgy builder", or even worse, on a TV hidden camera programme, then it could harm your earning ability. Also previous customers might demand you pay to have the work you did for them inspected. Really not worth the risk. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I suspect that you already know what the right course of action is and by all accounts, you don't want any part of this project if it's not done to proper standards.
Personally I think honesty is the best policy even if it means further aggro.
Perhaps a quite word with the friend that you're not happy about these arrangements and that you'd prefer not to be involved may work? If not, is there a mutual respected friend whom you may be able to use to broach the subject? Perhaps even get the customer to check with the planners after all he/she is the one commissioning the work and they will be keen to ensure that it is above board. Surely if there is extra cost involved then the customer will bear that cost anyway.
If your suspicions are correct and planning permission is required and the foundations are unsound then this might have serious repercussions at a later date. Ignorance or acting ignorant is no defence in the eyes of the law.
Good Luck and we'll still be here if it all goes Pete Tong! :)

Thanks for all your replies. Just an update. Last night, I downloaded all the information available from the relevant building control web site. This included some outlines of what needed thier involvement and to what degree. Usefully, they also have a procedure to "Regularise" unauthorised work.

This morning, I turned up at the job, presented the guy with all the downloaded info, and pointed out. "Look, I know you don't want these people involved, but if you don't get them in, you're on your own."

I also insisted in a bit of investigative digging to check them foundations, before I would lay any bricks on them. "Besides, the inspector is going to need access to see them". I had seen 3/4 of the trenches before they were filled (they go down about 2.4 Metres!) but I had the impression that the last bit had only gone down about 6 inches. Boy was I releived to be wrong!

I have now built up to DPC (just one course of blocks, 3 of bricks). and left it at that. No more work is going to be done untill an inspector has been and given it the thumbs up.

Hopefully, since the job hasn't gone too far, the inspector will deal with him leniently? :rolleyes:

anyone that is prepared to dig an 8ft footing before the b.c. have even paid a visit arent exactly doing things by halfs by my book.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back