BG Still Doing me in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I just left working for Bg after 3 years of stress, money was ok but just nonstop stress.

My problem is I resat my ACS with them last year but they sent me no certificates, now they say I must contact gas safe and pay to get my certs, gas safe are concerned.
I've contacted gas safe who say this isnt the case, so now i cant work.
BG have told me the certificates are only valid while i work for them.

Does anybody know if this is right or what action i should take?

Sponsored Links
I don't know about GasSafe but in my experience it is often the case that courses completed while employed are only valid for the time you remain with them, otherwise you could get trained, resign and then carry on working courtesy of your previous employer.

Some employers will allow you to pay back some of the training/qualification costs but I guess BG is probably too big to concern themselves with that.

Bottom line - you have to pay for it yourself.

As far as I am aware you will have taken your assessments with one of the ten or so certification bodies.

BG will be unlikely to help you out but if you contact each of the bodies I would expect that if you discover which one yours were with then they should be willing to sell you copy certificates. ( Sorry BG but I dont support making it difficult for people ). You will need to quote your Nat Ins number.

Of course morally there is a good argument that as BG paid for the course they dont expect you to walk away with the qualifications to work elsewhere.

But I think that there is a better argument that their training was to implant the knowledge into your brain and there it stays there with you. So you should be entitled to certificates covering that implanted knowledge.

You should have thought that through and registered yourself before you left BG.

Tony

If you need a copy of your certificates the following numbers should be of use to you:

BPEC: 08456 446 558

CITB/CSKILLS: 08704 172 374

ERS: 08456 432 609

Logic Certification: 02088 392 439

IGAS/Eagle Star/Zurich/NICEIC: 01246 269 048

Blue Flame: 01782 576 811

Gas Safe Register: 0800 408 5500

City & Guilds: 02072 942 800

UK Certification: 01458 252 757

Sponsored Links
You should have received a copy of your cert from whatever body you used to do it, ie one off Tony's list.

Best to call the training centre you did acs at and ask who the certifying body is, then call them and you will have to pay for a copy (maybe get free as you could argue with them that you didn't receive original anyway)

You will then have to register yourself with gassafe £400 something first time round mind.

And unfortunately you aren't allowed to work on gas until then.

Edit.. Come to think of it, I was in same situation couple of years ago, ie left bg but I don't think I had to send gas safe anything when I registered myself, think they already had all my qualifications.. Can't remember 100% tbh

They do get access to some online database of those who have ACS.

They were recently able to tell me which certification body mine were taken with. But then as I am already registered with them that might have been different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back