British Gas engineer working "on the side" - cover

The main issue is simply that the client won't get a usable receipt or benchmark or certificate in terms of warranty and house sale documents,

That's all.

Which is the bottom line of what I've been trying to explain to the relative. He's convinced he can get someone else in at some point to sign the work off if need be but thats yet another discussion lmao

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is. You obviously know that the guy is offering to do a not entirely legitimate job. Either refuse the offer or not.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is. You obviously know that the guy is offering to do a not entirely legitimate job. Either refuse the offer or not.

I know its not legitmate and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, my relative is probably the most stubborn person you're likely to meet and the BG engineer (who has known them a long time) has convinced them that apart from a piece of paper its all legitimate. I wanted everyone elses opinion so I can point his wife (who uses a computer) at this thread to see independent opinions.

He's pinching work off his employer - an issue to individual RGI's and small firms, but I see no moral issue with stealing customers from a rip off mega corp like BG.

the moral issue is hardly a concern. i doubt he is stealing work off his employer either as poeple willing to have a cash job done by a BG employee are probably the last people to want to use BG themselves.

i personally wouldn't do a foreigner for a BG customer (in fact i don't do them at all apart from very close friends as i can't be arsed), its too risky as there are far more consequences if it all goes tits up.

Sponsored Links
spoton just not worth it these days, you can get a registerd engineer to fit a blr for £1400 these days. so you have to be even cheaper.. might as well work for a company.

the moral issue is hardly a concern.

Thats only for people with no morals who think its perfectly acceptable for someone to:-

Rip off the customer by:-

Doing work which they cannot certificate
Doing work when uninsured
Doing work when not gas registered for that work
Doing work for which they cannot issue a receipt for the payment
Doing work for which the manufacturer may not honour the warrantee
Doing work without resources to deal with any problems arising later

Ripping off their employer by:-

Undercutting BG

Ripping off other RGIs by

Undercutting legitimate independents

Ripping off the rest of the population by:-

Doing cash jobs and not paying tax or NI

Tony - there is a difference between morals and law.

Yes - ripping off the customer is immoral - he should not tell the customer that everything will be fine if he does it on the side - he should explain that there will be issues with warranty, insurance and certificates.

Yes - stealing work / customers from your employer is immoral & an abuse of trust.

No - the last paragraph shall not apply to BG - I consider large corps like them to be as immoral as traffic wardens. BG rip off old ladys etc, anyone steering customers away from them is performing a moral act!

spacecat

United Kingdom
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

loyalty is is for dogs

business is business , if a better deal comes along take it.

cant have it both ways

I dont see any posting on this thread by "Spacecat".

Even if there was then I could also read his listing info as well.

Tony

the moral issue is hardly a concern.

Thats only for people with no morals who think its perfectly acceptable for someone to:-

Rip off the customer by:-

Doing work which they cannot certificate
Doing work when uninsured
Doing work when not gas registered for that work
Doing work for which they cannot issue a receipt for the payment
Doing work for which the manufacturer may not honour the warrantee
Doing work without resources to deal with any problems arising later

Ripping off their employer by:-

Undercutting BG

Ripping off other RGIs by

Undercutting legitimate independents

Ripping off the rest of the population by:-

Doing cash jobs and not paying tax or NI

your play by the rules sentiments are invalid in the real world glazier, rightly or wrongly the cash job customer believes they are getting a cheaper price because they are bypassing the rules.

it's their choice, but the guy fitting it only really needs to cover his arse in relation to his employer.

Just for amusement get this BG chap to install it then ring BG asking why you haven't had a certificate back. That should be entertaining.

Also he will probably not need to pay him either because it was illegal for him to fit it when not registered.

Under the morals bit though he ought to be paid for the boiler and hardware.

Just dont pay for the illegal labour.

Pot kettle and black spring to mind :rolleyes:
Think i might just post exact dates of expiry and renewal. :rolleyes:

Customer/end user might have problems with warranty support if boiler un-registered.
Worst case, if damage occurs its doubtful if guy has adequate insurance, if problem occcurs in months/years time house insurance might get funny if prove of installer is not available.

apart from that i expect we have all done homers/cash jobs/out of scope etc at some time. And jesus christ what a load of horse about fiddling the tax and NI get in the real world Agile, everyone does that.

And jesus christ what a load of horse about fiddling the tax and NI , everyone does that.

I dont think many teachers, nurses, doctors, carers, cleaners, police, council workers, railway workers, bus drivers, in other words 98% of working people who are employed are fiddling.

Just because MPs fiddle dont assume that everyone else does!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back