British gas and mouse droppings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a British gas engineer round to look at a vaillant boiler which was producing fluctuating hot water. He said the heat exchanger needed replacing but refused to do it because there were mouse droppings inside the boiler (visible when he opened the front panel to look inside). He said I had to get a certificate from rentokil proving it "rodent free" before he could do the job. I took a look after he'd gone and it took about 40 min with a sponge and some bleach to sort it out. It seems unreasonable to me that bg would refuse to do this work, has anyone else had experience of this sort of thing?

Sponsored Links
There is a reasonable risk of a cut hand or scratch when changing components on any boiler, and therefore a risk of infection. Is it not reasonable for you to provide a safe environment for any engineer, not only BG to work in?

Sponsored Links
bm212";p="2221259 said:
He said I had to get a certificate from rentokil proving it "rodent free" before he could do the job. quote]

Typical of a gas engineer. Having it rodent free is no guarantee that any surface is disease free. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to work in a environment with mouse dropping and urine. :unsure:

It wasn't a unreasonable request from the engineer. I've myself requested a customer had a mouse nest removed by pest control, along with the dead mice that had chewed up the 240v wiring for the Central Heating.

It seems to me that BG are after a sterile environment.

It does not matter how clean a work area looks, it will never be sterile, even hospitals can't guarantee that.

Every work environment has risks, the idea is to reduce risk as you can't eliminate them. Having the owner clean the area should have been more than sufficient.

Meant to say typical of a BF engineer.

As a BG engineer I can say myself that I have worked in some places that are far from sterile. :eek: Every week and everyday can have it's surprises.

BG like any big company to hot on Health and Safety, even more so in recent years.

Call the job back in, you might get another engineer who'll be happy to repair the issue :)

As an independent I have to work on every boiler if I want to get paid.

That includes those with mouse droppings and what I dislike most those which are full of live cockroaches.

I do usually ask for a vac with a pipe so that I can suck out the roaches!

Perhaps 20% of the boilers that I see have mouse droppings. Mostly tennanted places though!

Tony

I'm going with another company who are quite happy to do the repair.

I understand BG's concern for their employees, but I think this is taking it a bit far.

Oh good grief what is this country coming to.

Give BG the push straight away.

I somehow doubt that the heat exchanger even needs replacing.

Probably some edit from BG management ??? lot of fuss over not alot IMHO !

Urine , s***e ect ect :) what about those who un block drains , toilets ?
even worst sani flows & urinals ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back