Bi-Fold or standard Double doors ? New extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to have our kitchen/dining area extended out onto the patio/garden. We were going to have 'standard' double doors fitted (architects suggestion) but the builders who have been to give quotes keep mentioning Bi-Fold doors.
The doors will be well used as this is the only exit from the rear of the bungalow out into the garden. We also want to have the doors open in fine weather .
So... should we stick with the original idea or seriously consider the Bi-fold doors as a better option ? I asked the architect and he reckon's that over a period of time the bi-folds cause problems, especially with heavy use ?? !!
So if anyone has an opinion/experience then comments much appreciated.
Thanks
Brian.

Sponsored Links
120 is pretty narrow and bifold doors all take up door width as they fold inside the door frame
French doors could be hinged so that they fold flat against the house wall 180° from closed

Bifold doors need a steel to hang on but can have no step on the threshold
They can look a bit "prison bars" when closed, if in too many sections

Sponsored Links
Pointless for a 1200 opening IMO for reasons already mentioned and unless you spec very well specified bifold from a big manufacturer, getting spares in say 10 or 15 will be impossible.

but the builders who have been to give quotes keep mentioning Bi-Fold doors.

I wonder if there is a profit motive in pushing you towards the more complicated option.

The oldest wooden French windows I know lasted 90 years before needing replacement.

Last edited:
The cynic in me says they've probably been offered a mis measured set for cheap money and are thinking of their profit margin

A few things to ponder
1200mm is a bit narrow for bifold or french doors bear in mind that one half of the french doors when open will only leave a walk through of about 525mm. Can you make the aperture wider.
It's unlikely that the builders have a mismeasure set that they are trying to use on your job, in my experiences mismeasures never get used, you just store them for years and then dispose, environmentally of course.
I've been selling the Sunflexuk door for over 15 years, it's a German designed and built system and if fitted correctly will give you years of reliable service. The two panel option has a number of good points in that the doors can never slam as they are held in the track and on the hinges forming a triangle.
I suggest you visit a showroom to see how the doors look and how they operate and make a judgement when you are there with the product in front of you. I supplied my friend in wales with a two panel door in their kitchen on my advice and they absolutely love it, the only differences are that they have another exit door and the aperture is about 1800 wide. Make sure you see a 2 panel set, don't make a decision based on a 3
Hope this helps, Darran.

As others say I think 1200mm may be too narrow for a two-panel bi-fold as with one panel open it would less than 600mm with the frame taken into account (same with sliding or French), unless they are opened fully all the time.

What about one large single door, custom made, 1200mm in aluminium?

We've got Kloeber aluminium bi-folds in a 3.1m opening (3 panel), and they are terrific, (each panel is 1030mm wide) they top quality tripled glazed units, which glide open. We agonised over suppliers for ages, but they are faultless, secure and would recommend without hesitation. We use the first panel as a main patio door all the time, unlocking the other two panels to fold back when it's warm weather, transforms our kitchen.

Could you increase the opening wider, and if there is a potential structural issue, add a windpost?

Last edited:
You could also consider a 900mm wide door and a 300mm opening side panel, effectively 2 doors but the centre being offset

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back