Biasi 24S (2000) cuts out on CH after 2 hours...??

So I assume the next thing would be to adjust the gas vavle and see if this makes any difference but I appreciate I am not a boiler engineer so it should be left to a CORGI registered engineer.

I have a maintenance ontract with BG, they came round on new years eve to look at the fault. He said the heat exchanger needed flushing but they dont do that as part of the maintenance contract anymore. If BG were to do it they would replace both heat exchangers plus a days labour which would be over £1k so he advised me it was cheaper to buy a new boiler. He also serviced the boiler while he was here, but this only took 10 mins? Not convinced by his diagnosis I tinkered a bit and came here for help.

Interestingly the boiler did something different this morning. It ran quite happily for 2 1/2 hours from cold start up this morning. CH pot on min. The boiler then stopped heating but did not over heat - red over heat button still in. The rads were still very hot, but I moved the CH pot from min to about 1/3 and the boiler started heating again. Been running for about an hour and hasnt over heated yet.

I guess I am well within my rights to ask BG to come back and explain everything I have done so far and ask them to fix it..?? Seeing as it isnt new years eve I may get a better response!

Sponsored Links
However the flame size should fall to very small when you disconnect the mod coil.

I am forced to conclude that the gas valve is not set up correctly ( based on what you have told me! )

Tony

Of course thats the first problem and there may be other faults to be identified after the gas valve has been set up correctly.

Tony

So I assume the next thing would be to adjust the gas vavle and see if this makes any difference but I appreciate I am not a boiler engineer so it should be left to a CORGI registered engineer.

I have a maintenance ontract with BG, they came round on new years eve to look at the fault. He said the heat exchanger needed flushing but they dont do that as part of the maintenance contract anymore. If BG were to do it they would replace both heat exchangers plus a days labour which would be over £1k so he advised me it was cheaper to buy a new boiler. He also serviced the boiler while he was here, but this only took 10 mins? Not convinced by his diagnosis I tinkered a bit and came here for help.

Interestingly the boiler did something different this morning. It ran quite happily for 2 1/2 hours from cold start up this morning. CH pot on min. The boiler then stopped heating but did not over heat - red over heat button still in. The rads were still very hot, but I moved the CH pot from min to about 1/3 and the boiler started heating again. Been running for about an hour and hasnt over heated yet.

I guess I am well within my rights to ask BG to come back and explain everything I have done so far and ask them to fix it..?? Seeing as it isnt new years eve I may get a better response!

Bg engineers have sales targets to meet and are pushed to sell unnessecary powerflushes. They also are monitored on parts costs so don't like changing expensive parts unless they really have to. What is their standard policy is to sell you a (VASTLY OVERPRICED) new boiler so they can get their commission as qdos points.

Complain to BG and insist they send out the manufactuerer/agent.

At least then you may get a competent engineer.

Sponsored Links
As a great favour, if you can get a polite and competent BG engineer I would be happy to give him advice over the telephone.

These are very simple boilers!

Tony

Could be a simple as the min/max burner pressures are way out, but sounds as though the mod coil is not working, if the flame is not dropping when the wire is removed.

Thats what I thought, surely disconnecting the wire from the coil, which I assume is some sort of solenoid, would shut the valve or at least close it cutting the gas supply and reducing the flame...?? however, if the solenoid is stuck open there would be no flame control at all, which there is all be it limited.

Is it possible for the boiler to be fine and then suddenly the min/max burner pressures go way out..??

Anyway, assuming I get BG to come back, how do I tell (convince) them that I think this is the fault area? After all, I am not a gas engineer! Or do I just explain everyting I have tried and hope they come to the same conclusion as we have....???

Ben

Contrary to popular opinion mod coils on gas valves rarely fail ! I have NEVER encountered one during the ten years that I have been repairing boilers!

Of course I always check their operation as checking the gas valve min/max is the first thing to do with many faults. I also reset them after a boiler repair and on a service. However evidence on another thread is that BG dont seem to understand their importance to the correct operation of boilers.

All you need to do is get the BG man to call me for fault finding advice! Not before 0930 though please. If he is too arogant to call me then dont let him leave until he has found the fault. If he complains about the cost of the call then he can use one of our 0800 numbers! 9 55 44 54 comes through direct to my mobile!

Tony

Ok, I will get BG to return and not let them leave until its fixed! If I get really stuck I will give you a call if thats ok Tony? Thanks.

Why would BG guy want to call an 0800 number from his mobile when it will cost him. Calling your mobile from his mobile will be free ;)

(Oh, just realised, free advertising :LOL: )

He may not have free calling to other mobiles from his mobile. I dont!

Calling an 0800 number from mine is 10p/min. Calling another mobile is 35p/min.

He can call from the customer's landline at no cost to him or the customer.

Tony

Agile";p="1099894 said:
All you need to do is get the BG man to call me for fault finding advice! Not before 0930 though please. If he is too arogant to call me then dont let him leave until he has found the fault. If he complains about the cost of the call then he can use one of our 0800 numbers! 9 55 44 54 comes through direct to my mobile!

Tony

can anyone call for advice Tony, or is it just special customers ;)

That was a special favour to the OP to help him get sorted out.

Today I had four calls from people trying to fix boilers!

I would not mind if they were professionals who wanted help with something difficult but one fellow today had no MI and had not even bothered to measure the min/max burner pressure! He expected me to be able to guess what was wrong and tell him which part to change!

Tony

I take that as a negative then, :confused:

thuoght you might not mind ,

only took an interest as you do have good knowlegde on boilers,

well no harm i suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back