It's perfectly possible to acquire sound evidence of the efficacy of something without having to understand the mechanisms involved.
Of course. Indeed, we have far from a full understanding of mechanism (in some cases very little understanding of mechanism) in relation to many present-day treatments of proven efficacy.

... but therein lies a lot of the point. Efficacy is not just about (understood or not understood) direct pharmacological and physiological effects of the treatment. The total (in some cases entire) efficacy also includes that attributable to psychological and/or other currently ill-understood/'intangible' mechanisms. If one undertook a trial comparing a treatment of no currently-understood mechanism or rationale, but in which patients had considerable 'faith/belief', with a similar treatment in which patients had no faith/belief, then one might well be able to produce, in that context, 'sound evidence of efficacy' - and whether or not the patients had 'faith/belief' would be very largely dependent upon how the treatment had been 'marketed' to them (in the broadest of senses).

The problem is that such a trial would fly in the face of most principles of clinical research, which usually goes out of its way to eliminate the influence of patients' conceptions about the treatments being compared. However, the fact remains that a treatment which is efficacious by virtue of poorly-understood psychological/whatever mechanisms is, as far as the patient concerned, no less legitimate than one which works by known pharmacological or physiological mechanisms.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I see no evidence that "faith/belief" in things for which there is no evidence has not, on balance, done and is continuing to do immense damage.

I see no evidence that "faith/belief" in things for which there is no evidence has not, on balance, done and is continuing to do immense damage.
If that is at least partially a reference to religion etc., I'm certainly not going to get involved with than in an "Electrics" forum!

However, in the sort of context we've been talking about, there is considerable evidence that having faith/belief in things can cause them to have (genuine, often objectively demonstrable and/or quantifiable) effects upon an individual's body. As you have said yourself, the fact that we do not have a good (or necessarily any!) understanding of mechanism does not preclude there being an effect, nor does it preclude our producing 'sound evidence' of that effect. There is a vast literature on placebo effect. That's why there is a dilemma, albeit seemingly not in your eyes.

Kind Regards, John

If that is at least partially a reference to religion etc., I'm certainly not going to get involved with than in an "Electrics" forum!
Religion, hifi cables, alternative medicine.... take your pick.

However, in the sort of context we've been talking about, there is considerable evidence that having faith/belief in things can cause them to have (genuine, often objectively demonstrable and/or quantifiable) effects upon an individual's body. As you have said yourself, the fact that we do not have a good (or necessarily any!) understanding of mechanism does not preclude there being an effect, nor does it preclude our producing 'sound evidence' of that effect. There is a vast literature on placebo effect. That's why there is a dilemma, albeit seemingly not in your eyes.
If the placebo effect works well enough to give people water instead of antibiotics etc, then fine - go for it, it will save money.

If not, then not, even if it works (as does prayer, Buddhist chanting, transcendental meditation or sleeping in pyramids) for some, unless the %some is significant and unless using it instead of conventional therapies with known outcomes is not worse. The potential harm of junk-science remedies is important. IANA doctor, but I'm pretty sure that a cough which persists for 3 weeks ought to be looked at, not self-medicated with an increasingly bizarre range of alternatives. If the makers are saying their machine can both diagnose and treat asthma, hayfever, cancer, pain, pepression, peurological disorders, pigraines, auto-immune disorders, etc, how many people are going die or get much worse if they believe that rather than go to the doctor?

This is a bit more serious than deep-frozen power cords.

How something works is not the issue. Whether it does is. If this machine can be proven, with properly conducted trials, to be efficacious¹ then allow it to be sold. If not, not.

¹ I'm assuming that there is a threshold for efficaciousness beyond what would be expected from a placebo.

Sponsored Links
If the placebo effect works well enough to give people water instead of antibiotics etc, then fine - go for it, it will save money.
That's clearly not a very good example (placebo effect is likely to be very small in relation to the treatment of infections) but, as I said, it is appropriate to disillusion patients about a 'suspect' treatment if adequately efficacious (and adequately safe/well-tolerated) conventional alternatives are available. However, placebo can only work in the presence of deception. If a patient is told that (s)he is being treatment with pure water with no known beneficial effects, and that any benefit a patient derives from it will be the result of their belief/faith in the treatment, then any 'placebo effect' will more-or-less vanish.
If not, then not, even if it works (as does prayer, Buddhist chanting, transcendental meditation or sleeping in pyramids) for some, unless the %some is significant and unless using it instead of conventional therapies with known outcomes is not worse.
I largely agree, but it's not quite as simple as you suggest. If one took that approach literally, all but the one most efficacious treatments (e.g. medicines) for a given condition would be 'banned'.
The potential harm of junk-science remedies is important. IANA doctor, but I'm pretty sure that a cough which persists for 3 weeks ought to be looked at, not self-medicated with an increasingly bizarre range of alternatives.
Of course. That is, indeed, the danger ... but it applies to the whole spectrum of 'alternative medicine', not just potions and machines.
If the makers are saying their machine can both diagnose and treat asthma, hayfever, cancer, pain, pepression, peurological disorders, pigraines, auto-immune disorders, etc, how many people are going die or get much worse if they believe that rather than go to the doctor? ... How something works is not the issue. Whether it does is. If this machine can be proven, with properly conducted trials, to be efficacious¹ then allow it to be sold. If not, not.
I have really been talking generally, rather than about this specific machine, or even machines/devices in general. I am far less familiar with legislation relating to 'machines' than medications, but if we were talking 'medications', any of those therapeutic claims (diagnostic claims are more difficult) would be serious criminal offences if they could not be substantiated (particularly in relation to claims relating to cancer, about which there is specific legislation). Indeed, it is a criminal offence to make 'medicinal claims' about anything which is not a licensed ('approved' in modern lingo) medication. To what extent the same is true of machines/devices, I'm not so sure, but there certainly is some legislation - and, in any event, general legislation relating to 'trading standards' etc. would presumably also be applicable if the 'product' was not 'fit for (the claimed) purpose'.
¹ I'm assuming that there is a threshold for efficaciousness beyond what would be expected from a placebo.
Even in terms of conventional treatments, that's not necessarily the case. The primary requirement for, say, a medicine is to show that it is (statistically significantly) more efficacious than placebo, regardless of the magnitude of benefit over placebo. For that reason it would, by definition, be impossible to get a placebo medication licensed/approved - but that approach clearly falls on its face if one is contemplating a treatment which works by placebo effect.

We've been sidetracked into this theoretical discussion about placebos and placebo effect - but I would remind you of my very first contribution to this thread. I'm most certainly no defender of any sort of snake oil - I merely pointed out the dilemma that exists (in many people's eyes, if not yours) because some patients can derive considerable benefit by being 'deceived'.

Kind Regards, John

(BTW her relative is a Vet and his FB page is full of Biosresonance related posts. :cautious:)

Hmmm. I have heard of some vets using homeopathic remedies, but not electrical/magnetic placebo effect inducers.
I will ask our cat, who is at present carefully paying attention to animal hospital on the TV.

Hmmm. I have heard of some vets using homeopathic remedies, ...
Indeed, and proponents of homeopathy attempt to make a lot of mileage out of claims that homeopathy can successfully treat animals - arguing that this 'disproves' there being any psychologically-mediated placebo effect when such remedies are used in humans.
... but not electrical/magnetic placebo effect inducers.
There is certainly a veterinary TENS machine - but, as I have said, that has much more of a physiological basis. However, I think you've missed a good few things, since a Google search for "veterinary bioresonance therapy" yields a goodly number of hits!

Virtually everything about my education, scientific outlook and decades of dedication to 'evidence-based' practices would simply like to see all 'unproven' types of medical 'treatment' (in the broadest sense, since 'they' often have to wriggle with terminology/claoims in order to just about remain on the right side of the law!) simply 'banned'. That doesn't doesn't just relate to machines, devices and 'potions' but also to many 'food supplements', 'herbal remedies', cosmetics and even the practice of 'unproven' flavours of 'alternative medicine'. However, as I've said, I personally see a dilemma associated with following my inclination - since there clearly are substantial numbers of people who, for whatever reason, derive a lot of apparent/perceived benefit from some of these things - so one wonders 'who are we' to deprive them of this. BAS would like us to, as a matter of principle, but I don't think the issue is anything like as simple as he believes.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back